Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall took bike to dealer because left controls went out. Check engine light came on, security light and ABS. When they came on I lost high beam, cruise volume control and left turn signal. Took it in to service dept and they said no codes and no problem. Well on way home last night it does it again except this time a couple miles down the road all warning lights go out and controls come back on for a couple miles then all out again. Stopped at getgo shut bike down and started backup all was good the rest of the way home. Get on this morning for work and all warning lights back on and no controls? WTF? Anyone else experience this? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got ahold of service manager and bikes goin in tomorrow. She said they have seen a rash of these issues lately and are replacing the circuit boards in them. I'll keep you guys posted as things happen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked the bike up Friday and put a couple hundred miles on over the weekend and all good so far. Shop replaced circuit boards in left control housing, they say this has become a popular problem. Service tech said he wouldn't be surprised if this did not become a recall in the near future. Just a heads up.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
glad you got it fixed and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My volume controls go out also have to restart my bike..your problems are more extreme..the dealer needs to relook it shoot a video next time it happens if you can.

My 07 did this for a while. Took the controls apart twice before I found a chaffed wire in there that was grounding out. The audio functions would go in and out at random. I isolated the wire and re-insulated it, and no longer have the problem. I even took it to the dealer twice for them to check it out before I fixed it, and they did not find the problem.

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
Picked the bike up Friday and put a couple hundred miles on over the weekend and all good so far. Shop replaced circuit boards in left control housing, they say this has become a popular problem. Service tech said he wouldn't be surprised if this did not become a recall in the near future. Just a heads up.
What would be really helpful here is if you could take the time to quote your repair order word for word.
"Left control housing" and "circuit board" aren't service manual nomenclature.
Did they maybe say something like "left switch housing" and "body control module" ?
I realize that if this was a warranty repair they might not have even given you a copy of the repair order, typical.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are correct, no copy of repair order. Just replaced the guts of the left switch housing. Circuit boards etc. opened it up to verify it got changed after picking up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts