Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be returning from my deployment in about a month and as long as there's no snow or ice in NC I hope to ride at least a little bit. I've got a '14 SGS stage 1 done with V&H Big Radius, PC V, and Arlen Ness Beveled Inverted A/C. I had all of the stage 1 mods done by the dealership before I took delivery. After a couple hundred miles I noticed a "miss" especially for the first few miles after starting, didn't matter if it was a cold start or a warm start. At that point wasn't terrible but noticeable. At first service told the dealership about it, they re-mapped the PC. Seemed to be better for a bit but then came back. Dealership has a fair amount of negative reviews and no Dyno. I decided maybe a Dyno would help so I rode it to the closest dealership with Dyno, wasn't sure I was going to make it missing and back firing had got so bad at that point and was happening all of the time. After Dyno was significantly better and had that been the first time riding it I may not have even been able to tell that it was still happening. I then took it on a 10 day trip before parking it for this deployment. Miss didn't seem to get worse during trip but still there. It's time for its next service when I get back and I'd really like to get that miss taken care of. In looking at the Arlen Ness website I noticed that the A/C that I have says in fine print not for fly-by-wire bikes (this wasn't noted on the website that I bought it from I don't believe). I'm still new to the Harley world do I have a fly-by-wire bike and could this A/C be the problem?

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Yes, your bike has Throttle-by-wire, think Harley started using it around '08 at least on the touring bikes.

Some of the very knowledgeable folks on this forum will certainly chime in and offer help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your 14 SGS has a can bus system. PC V plugs into the ECM harness and causes communication errors with the ECM. Tuning won't resolve the problem. Remove the PC V and go to a flash tuner, PV, SE Pro Tuner or Fuelpak 3.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
From what I can find by searching, the difference in Stage 1 air cleaner assemblies TBW & Cables, is just the mounting bracket.

MarketplaceAdvisor Image Hosting: Full Sized View

Harley Twin Cam Stealth Air Cleaner Support Bracket Fits Touring Softail Dyna | eBay

Huh. Not sure how they got it mounted unless they changed the bracket too.

I think your PC may be malfunctioning. I'd suggest that the dealership swap it out (warrantee) and download the appropriate map to it and see if that solves it. The people at dynojet are top shelf. They will not let you be dissatisfied.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure how they mounted it but seems to be mounted fine. I really didn't get to know her much in the three months I had to ride, that's what I did, ride! (sort of like with a new gf) Since it sounds like only problem A/C should have is with the mounting I'll get them to replace the PC and map and hopefully that does the trick.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hurry up and get back it is going to be in the 50s and 60s this week. I will be out tomorrow riding

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your 14 SGS has a can bus system. PC V plugs into the ECM harness and causes communication errors with the ECM. Tuning won't resolve the problem. Remove the PC V and go to a flash tuner, PV, SE Pro Tuner or Fuelpak 3.
This. Plus, wondering if the backing plate for the high flow is not seated correctly. Personally, I'd start by buying the correct high flow for your SG.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This. Plus, wondering if the backing plate for the high flow is not seated correctly. Personally, I'd start by buying the correct high flow for your SG.
I appreciate that suggestion but at $300-400 for a new A/C that looks decent, and then have two of them, think I'll have them look into the PC first since that's under warranty. Changing the A/C will definitely be second on the list though... As a new Harley owner wish the dealership would have told me it didn't fit, could have returned it and got something else. (I know, no one has ever said that about a dealership before lol)

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I appreciate that suggestion but at $300-400 for a new A/C that looks decent, and then have two of them, think I'll have them look into the PC first since that's under warranty. Changing the A/C will definitely be second on the list though... As a new Harley owner wish the dealership would have told me it didn't fit, could have returned it and got something else. (I know, no one has ever said that about a dealership before lol)

I like your thinking, G, but if your AC is mounted improperly, that's a serious problem. Maybe have them give it a once over. It'll only take a second to see if it's mounted properly.

Or, you can post a couple good up close photos and we can tell you if its cool.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chief. Now that I know this about the A/C I did plan on looking at it closely when I get home. I'm a decent "shade tree wrench" but with this being my first Harley and only being able to spend three months with her so far I have a lot to learn. I will take you up on posting pics to see what the group says. I will hopefully be landing at home a month from today, along with finding a place to live, figuring out this issue will be at the top of the list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts