Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, put on new bars. Got the 1510 code. I've read the other threads regarding this code, but they all included one if not two more codes with it. It threw the 2138 at me also but that one cleared. The 1510 won't clear. Bike runs ok. Seems a bit sluggish but while riding, pull in the clutch, rev the throttle and it's muffled. That's when I noticed the engine light was on. Hasn't gone off since. So, the other threads that talk about the throttle by wire also had the 2138 code which references the throttle, but the 1510 is "EFI Limited Performance Mode". Is that still throttle related? I did other wiring with the "rebuild" as well when I put yaffe taillights on my new rear fender, and a new sound system. I'm just trying to avoid poking around in connections that are not related to the issue. I did the work myself, except pull the wires through the bars. Didn't need to extend the wires but the TBW was replaced with a Screaming Eagle. Any ideas on where to start?

·
Poser Member # 99
17,551 Posts
check the plugs and make sure no pins are bent or have pushed out of plug could be twist grip you installed Start at the plugs and and work you way towards new throttle twist grip. .

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Yep, check that the small connector inside the twist grip is tight and the locking clip isn't broken. Those connectors a very fragile and break easy.

Reactions: FrankenTrike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will start with the connector in the fairing first, hoping it's not in the bars because that was a pain in the ass the first time dealing with it which is why I sent it out to have the wires fished through the bars in the first place. Thanks guys. It's gonna be a day or two before I get to this. Got another cold snap up here in cheeseland and not much heat in the garage. Hate winter. With a passion. I will let you know what I find. First though, I think I'm gonna call the guys that put the wires in the bars and see what they say. If it is in fact inside the bars, I'm hoping they'll volunteer their time to fix the issue. If you're down south, put a fan out back and point it north for me, would ya?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I talked to the shop that thread the wires through the bars and was told that because I had them discard the stock (green) TBW and put in a Screaming Eagle kit, the plug was eliminated and those wires reach all the way out the bottom of the bars. I checked the plug at the end (yellow and black sleeve), removed the pins, inspected them and put the plug back together the way I understand it to be. I found the attached diagram on line and am hoping this is the correct wiring diagram. If someone knows, could you let me know? I checked the plug behind the air cleaner. It was snug. I unplugged it and do not see any corrosion whatsoever, in fact it looks spotless. I took the grip housing apart to make sure the TBW was lined up properly in the bars and that the grip wasn't too tight or loose. Throttle doesn't seem to be hung up at all. Twist it and it snaps back quickly without any interruption. I still have the same two codes. I thought one had cleared but I must have been mistaken. The 1510 and the 2138. They wont clear. One thing I'm a bit confused on, I've seen many different versions of what steps to take once the "Clear" indicator comes up. Click the odometer button to clear it? Or turn the ignition off? Another one was to push and hold the button, but I think that was for 2014 and later. I've tried every version and they still will not clear. The directions I've read make it sound like codes should clear and will then reappear once the bike has been started, but these codes don't seem to even clear. Is that because it's an electrical issue?
Anyways......... if anyone has any suggestions, other than ripping the wires back out of the bars, that would be great. My guy at the shop just replied to my email. He says the diagram is backwards (left to right). I will try that and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was under the impression that if you cleared the codes, and the issue was fixed, the code should not reappear. Could there be another issue on the bike that is triggering the codes being seen? It appears you are doing your best to find the source of the problem. What would be less common reasons for the codes being seen? Hope you worked it all out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back Order

Sorry for the late reply. It's been a long waiting game. Had a bike shop (not HD shop) check into it. They couldn't locate the source but were pretty sure it was somewhere in the wire harness. Took it to an HD dealer and they determined it is in fact in the wiring harness. Option 1 - locate the troubled wire and replace it. Option 2 - spend $1,100 on a new wiring harness. Not wanting to go through this again and go through it when I'm 1500 miles from home, I chose to go with the new harness. 5+ weeks later, I'm still waiting for Harley Davidson to supply the dealer with the part. It's been on "Back Order". NOT a happy camper. How the hell can it take 5+ weeks to get a part from Harley Davidson? I live an hour and a half from Milwaukee for Christ sake. It's dame extension cord with a few extra plugs. Anyways, that's where I'm at. The bike sat at the dealer for 3 weeks. I was very busy at home and work so I wasn't missing much at the time, but had a weekend off and decided to go get the bike since I can still ride it, just not the same. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m dealing with these codes now! I pulled all the wires in the handle bars out and replaced them with a brand new TGS because I found a wire that had rubbed open.. I thought I had found the issue but it didn’t fix it, however it did improve. Now when I ride it will be just fine.. then boom! Check engine light comes on, same issue. I pull over and get the 1510 & 2138 code. But here’s where it gets even weirder.. when I clear the codes it goes back to 100% normal again for awhile. I’m stuck. Thinking maybe my next step is to replace the wires going from the fairing under the tank to the ECM?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts