Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2017 Road King w/ around 1,400 miles and hate those shocks, what junk! Hit a bump and your up for a ride off the seat, no matter what I have tried to set them at they still suck suspension zero, close to hard tail ;-(

Had the bike in to the dealer for the 1k service and I asked what was with them and I explained that I used the chart in the owners manual w/o any luck. They told me "OK you just have to play around with them to dial them in" I'm at whits end these suck who actually likes these? Actually I had better ride on mt 12 RK factory air shocks but I will not go back to those.

So so makes a decent stock height shock for my bike? Sorry I'm not going to drop over $1k for shocks. I saw that Progressive offered something for under $400 but from what I have read its a lower shock.

Anything out there?

TIA

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Lots of folks have spent lots of money on expensive shocks. Some say the "guy at XYZ built them especially for my riding style", etc., etc., etc.

I used to be in the auto parts business many years ago. I have toured a couple of shock manufacturing (car & truck shocks) facilities. A good shock can be built with quality materials and sold at a fair price without all the BS and hype. And the same shock can be sold at a MUCH higher price by adding all the BS and hype.

On my previous '13 RGC and also my current '16 RGU I dumped the factory air shocks and put on the HD adjustables. Very good and MUCH IMPROVED ride. I looked at the installation chart/guidelines and tried to set them for my weight plus luggage when traveling--although most riding is without any luggage. Haven't felt the need to re adjust them any at all.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Progressive makes many ranges of shocks from $400 and up. The 412s and 430s both have more height options than their top end (444 and 944) shocks. Supposedly they also make them for drag specialties.

I don't have any experience with them unfortunately. I've been on Harleys 'premium' hand adjustable for nearly 5 years now but I keep putting off the purchase. One factor that has held me up is travel. The cheaper shocks only have about 2.5" total travel, and after preload you're down to about 1.55" before bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My son took my 944 off my road king and put on his street clide and couldn't believe the difference You get what you pay for usually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did the legend Revo-a setup. I know that is on the higher end of what u are looking for but I will share the research I did. I settled on legend as it is made in the USA and my summer trip is Sturgis an living in the Midwest easy access to the manufacturer. I was thinking of just doing the std revos but decided on the Revo-a. Now I will say if you want to keep the price down I was very interested in the bitubo shocks offered at DK custom products. I think they are $525. And you get some adjustments on them too. Hope some of this helps.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh also make sure u go with 13" shocks. I have heard DK was doing 14" with lowering kit to get ride height down but great travel.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lots of folks have spent lots of money on expensive shocks. Some say the "guy at XYZ built them especially for my riding style", etc., etc., etc.

I used to be in the auto parts business many years ago. I have toured a couple of shock manufacturing (car & truck shocks) facilities. A good shock can be built with quality materials and sold at a fair price without all the BS and hype. And the same shock can be sold at a MUCH higher price by adding all the BS and hype.

On my previous '13 RGC and also my current '16 RGU I dumped the factory air shocks and put on the HD adjustables. Very good and MUCH IMPROVED ride. I looked at the installation chart/guidelines and tried to set them for my weight plus luggage when traveling--although most riding is without any luggage. Haven't felt the need to re adjust them any at all.

The hand adjustable shocks are what come standard on the 17 bikes and he is right, they suck.I will not ride with those. I started my suspension search with Progressive shocks like most do,they were better but not great, I left them on my bike when I traded it for a new Road King. I purchased Ohlins HD159 for that bike and was in heaven, when I traded that bike for a 17 Limited I kept the Ohlins for the new bike,the adjustable shocks are better than air ride but aren't close to the Ohlins.I had to send the Ohlins in for service after 5yrs and I bought a set of Pro Actions to use for the last 3 weeks of riding last year while the Ohlins were serviced, I will not ride on the adjustable shocks, they are that bad, I used the P/A shocks till the Ohlins came back, the P/A shock are very good but not quite as smooth or plush as the Ohlins,the Pro Actions are back in the box after about 500mi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts