Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend Brian bought this off a guy for $1200 back in 1988 when his buddy needed money for divorce lawyer. The same friend showed up a year later with $2000, then $3000 in a bid to buy it back, without any luck....

Brian has ridden this a great deal (it was previously a trailer queen) but now some health issues have kept the chopper in the garage next to the unfinished El Camino project. Pity.

According to Brian, it handles OK in a straight line (up to 60 mph) but any turns require advance planning and a garage on the corner of the intersection to cut through. Holy mechanical brakes Batman!

The numbers on the engine and frame match (he cannot find the numbers on the 3-speed transmission so we are not sure if it came with the bike from the factory) and it was converted to a 12-volt electrical system with mechanical points.

I love this bike and hope to build one of my own some day. Brian plans on leaving this to his son so I may as well start saving my money for parts beginning now; truth-be-told,there is something VERY special about a numbers-matching home build with a chopped factory frame from the era. Maybe I could start with a factory model in really bad shape so as to not antagonize the restoration purists out there!

Attachments

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Reminds me of the easy rider bike. Love the squeeze horn and the oil drip pan underneath.
Oh the good ole days.

·
Registered
730 Posts
:nod Suwweeeett!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nice bike, if you plan on building one yourself, I have only a couple of recommendations on things I would change, and have done in the past my self with pleasing results. 1) while springer front ends look cool, but; after running one, it is not fun to encounter a high speed wobble have had this happen on more than one bike. I would opt for, for and extended wide glide with 21" wheel. It will handle much better. 2) I know this will send shock waves through the community, but; on my last chopper, I chromed the jugs, and used cast rings for sealing, not only no problems over lots of miles in Cal. but; with everything chrome that I could chrome, it made for a real easy clean at the local $ .25 car wash. Yes, It was that long ago. and last but; not least, if I were doing it today, I would opt for a fabricated aluminum primary made by one of those guys that fab intakes for the drag guys, in order to eliminate the need for the "auxiliary oil pan" I only have one pic that has survived the years, of a 48 pan that I had and did this to. Got a feeling that before I pack it in, I may build one more. Here is a pic of that bike circa 1968.
Bob

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts