Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums, so bear with me.

My father I think owns a 1965 Sportster, he hasn't rode it in over 20-25 years. We ran it maybe 15-20 years ago and it ran fine, when i was getting my endorsement.

But last year my father passed away, and i talked to my mom and sister and they said i can have the bike.
I have the bike ready to bring down to my house and work on it.
I was able to get it into neutral to move it out into the open to load it. Kicked it over once (that all) and the motor turns over, so its not seized.

The gas tank i know is rusted on the inside so i need to replace it.

what i need to know is what do i need to do to get it running again. This is some of the things i know i need to do.

1. Tires, get new tires for front and rear (dry rot)
2. Oil all the cables and get them freed
3. change engine oil
4. change trans oil
5. check brakes
6. clean carb
7. check magneto (i think it has one, i remember that he rotated the distributor cap to start and after)
8. change plugs

If you see anything else let me know.

·
Retired citizen
23,085 Posts
New to the forums, so bear with me.

My father I think owns a 1965 Sportster, he hasn't rode it in over 20-25 years. We ran it maybe 15-20 years ago and it ran fine, when i was getting my endorsement.

But last year my father passed away, and i talked to my mom and sister and they said i can have the bike.
I have the bike ready to bring down to my house and work on it.
I was able to get it into neutral to move it out into the open to load it. Kicked it over once (that all) and the motor turns over, so its not seized.

The gas tank i know is rusted on the inside so i need to replace it.

what i need to know is what do i need to do to get it running again. This is some of the things i know i need to do.

1. Tires, get new tires for front and rear (dry rot)
2. Oil all the cables and get them freed
3. change engine oil
4. change trans oil
5. check brakes
6. clean carb
7. check magneto (i think it has one, i remember that he rotated the distributor cap to start and after)
8. change plugs

If you see anything else let me know.
New battery then check for spark, the mag might need to be re-magnetized from sitting so long.
Post up some pics when ya get the Sporty home.

·
91 FXLR
50 Posts
You'll get it running.

Now If it was mine, I would restore it. Even if I had to do it one piece at a time. I would chrome every thing not painted and get new paint. It will be a lot of fun, you will learn a lot about the bike. When its complete you will have a wonderful old Harley people will stop and stare.

·
V-Twin Junkie
227 Posts
Nothing wrong with bringing it back as a runner, cleaning it up and leaving the patina of the years there as a testament to it's existence.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,170 Posts
🍿 :unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts