Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first Harley this winter knowing it has this problem. When the bike is first started and I pull the clutch and put it in gear, it kills as though I dropped it in gear without the clutch engaged. It only dose it once then after it is restarted it behaves normally. When the bike is not running it seems to shift normally. Any ideas of what would cause this??

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Dose it ENGAGE? when you first put it in gear on first start up?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It's called "stiction", the oil between the plates cause them to stick together. Even on my newer bikes I pull & release the clutch a couple of times before putting into gear. I had one bike that I had to rock back and forth with the clutch pulled,in gear and engine off to break it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's not a major transmission problem? Just annoying? That would be great news as it is going to hit 50 in Minnesota next week. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I once had a Yamaha that did the same thing. I just worked the clutch handle in and out a few times. Most times it worked. Other times not so much.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
I had a 1968 XLCH and I loved it. Still do in dreams.

I think the stiction idea is correct and should improve if you keep working with it as discussed above.

Check with your dealer and see if you can put some SeaFoam in the system to clean it up. I don't remember if the clutch oil is kept separate from the engine oil, but I'm thinking it is not. If so I wouldn't leave the SeaFoam in forever, but for 1 to 3 hundred miles then change it out. DO CHECK with a dealer first and then talk with Jim at SeaFoam for amounts and for how long

here: Homepage - Sea Foam Sales Company

you will probably need to adjust the clutch after words. After you get it the way you want it, ask me about kill switch shifting.

check out my pics in my images file after I "chopped" it.

·
Registered
39,580 Posts
I don't remember if the clutch oil is kept separate from the engine oil, but I'm thinking it is not.
Engine oil is separate, clutch and transmission is shared.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so much.

I was really hoping it was just something small like this. Not a complete mess. Can't wait to fire it up and mess with it next week. Here's a pic of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sweet. I had a 6 foot springer Curley Cue with a California sport front rim on a raked Hard tail frame and a 1977 Royal Enfield police interceptor for a Motor Batt eliminator KIT trouble was they Beat it to the ground and never got he legal. Hated the rear drum brake tough

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
I was really hoping it was just something small like this. Not a complete mess. Can't wait to fire it up and mess with it next week. Here's a pic of the bike.
very well done you should be proud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts