Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm Austin Messer, and I've been a harley enthusiast since I was 10. I'm finally old enough to get out and ride, but I have a question about a purchase on a bike that looks like it would be a solid project bike for me to start working on.

What do you think about the price and workability of this bike linked below? Like i said, i want it to be a good bike for learning how to work on the machine itself, while at the same time i want to be able to ride the thing. I'm much less familiar with older bikes, which is why I thought I'd come to a place where people would probably know.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/811101577.html

Thanks alot,

Austin

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the seller didn't post the miles on the bike. What would be a respectable number of miles for such a project?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
You can get a modern Evo based Sporty for the same price and have a lot more to work with. Them old Ironheads are a great 3rd or 4th bike, but I wouldn't want one as my daily driver. And if it is a kickstart only model....well....not for me, I like my knee.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Wow, I just loooked through your Milwaukee craigslist. First of all, they sure have a lot of Ironheads for sale, and second- they sure are proud of Sportsters there! I have two friends who have in the last month bought early 90's Sportys for $3200 and $3350 out of the local craigslist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Austin,

I am almost 50 and have had a lot of bikes. Listen to what these guys are telling you. I just sold my Triumph chopper/bobber. It was cool but a pain. Not much fun to ride very far and that was not worth all the ooos and ahhhs I got.

I just bought an 87 Sportster for $2500 and it has new tires, a 1200 kit, S&S carb, etc.

Does it have some issues ? Yeah, but hey, it's 21 years old right.

I have seen Ironhead cases go on well maintained bikes. I like Ironheads, but they ain't Evos for sure. Save your money and don't be afraid to drive a little to pick one up for the right price.

By the way, those old Invader wheels are dangerous. All the original ones that were not sold were buried due to wheel failure.

Springers look cool, but if they don't have trunions, stay away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts