Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 1000 cc ironblock sportster. ( just given to me ) Back in those days people burned leaded gas. Question is can I use unleaded or do I need to buy a fuel additive? Also should I be using the 93 octain like I use in my 07 softail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

2 for additive
1 for not
Asked as the two local dealers who dissagree with each other,Soooo thought I would ask the "real" pro's. Folks actually out there on the bikes.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Unless there is something I don't know about, I am pretty sure you mean Iron Head, all blocks ie cases are aluminum. Whatever, you engine was originally designed for leaded gas as the lead was used as a lubricant. I believe that unless the valve guides and possibly the seats are replaced you will need to use an appropriate additive. As far as 93 octane goes you need to know what your compression ratio and timing is.

I believe, and I am sure if I am wrong a few people will school my ignorant ass, that octane is used to slow the travel of the flame front. High compression or severely retarded engines need higher octane. You will know you don't have enough if it knocks. You also need less octane at higher elevations.

Enjoy your bike, make sure to let us know the first time you hyper-extend your knee. We will give you plenty of commiseration.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I would run the highest octane i could get there is so much crap in fuel nowadays you need the high octane to burn all that crap (ethanol).I even use octane booster addative.
so youll have one leg bigger than the other great for kickin ass.lol

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Treat it to a tank of 100 octane leaded (race) fuel periodically, and straight-weight oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts