Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working on a 75 sporty and one of the problems i am having is trying to figure out why is oil leaking from motor into the primary case from this screen thing i have searched for it in harley book with no luck can anyone explain to me what it does and is it ok to try (suggestion would be great) to stop it since all oil from oil tank ends up in primary case after sitting yes i know the oil pump is not suppose to leak down oil thats another problem need to fix this first thanks for any help i can get would love to get this bike up and running again

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's a transfer valve. I believe they stopped putting them on Sportsters after 1976. It's basically to help equalize crankcase pressure, but if your oil pump leaks oil into the crankcase when the bike sits for a while, the excess oil will get pumped into the primary.

Some people plug them to eliminate the problem and to allow running two different lubricants in the engine and transmission, but I think something might have to be modified with the crankcase venting or oil pump timing to allow the valve to be plugged. Sorry I can't tell you more, but maybe someone else who has plugged theirs can chime in.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think it unscrews, but you need a wide tool to do it, like a chisel, that will engage the slots on the outside edge. Not positive about that, like I said above, but look at it and see if it has the slots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts