Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:new

At least I'm new to the Iron Head side! I've been looking for a project, and I found one. I had a lot of plans, but my wife claimed it as hers before I could even get the bike home. So, here she is (the sporty, not my wife):

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a service manual on eBay today, so that is on the way. Now, I am ready to start in on it!

·
Registered
341 Posts
check out a book how to build a harley monster, by bill rook. he shows you how to step-by-step to build one. my copy is being passed around .b&n has it for $12.00

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check out a book how to build a harley monster, by bill rook. he shows you how to step-by-step to build one. my copy is being passed around .b&n has it for $12.00
I will. Thanks.

What he said.

What plans do you have for it?
Pretty much a ground up restoration. It's not running, but the guy said that he had it running last year, and that he knew it smoked. I only gave $750 for it, so I think I have some room to spend a little on it.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Hey!
Congrats man!

Welcome to the Ironhead family!

GREAT - GREAT - GREAT to see another one getting on the road.
I did a '76 last summer... Let me know if I can help.
DeeDay

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks DeeDay. I will!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice bike for a starting point. It looks like it wouldn't be hard to do a somewhat-correct restoration on, and would be a real head-turner if put back original.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Man! How cool!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Right now I am goin gpage by page through the sporty forum reading everything I can find on the iron heads.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
What plans do you have for it?
Ahh come on man, cut that sucker up, bob the rear fender, loose the front one.....spring saddle, apes..........just kidding......looks like you have a fun project ahead....:thumb

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh come on man, cut that sucker up, bob the rear fender, loose the front one.....spring saddle, apes..........just kidding......looks like you have a fun project ahead....:thumb
Ya know, I really want to...but, the wife has claimed it. lol. We are gonna make it cool, but rideable.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Need some ideas

I haven't been able to do much to the Ironhead since it has been in Oklahoma and I've been in Texas. Last week I went and got it and my trailer so I can work on it. I just about have it took apart. Hopefully I'll have time to pull the engine this weekend. I found out at least part of the reason why the guy I bought it from was having trouble. When I pulled the plug wire from the rear cylinder to the coil, It was zip tied around the boot to the coil. I pulled it off, and lo and behold there was no electrode in the coil, and no plug inside the boot. So I know I need to a new coil.

I want to start buying a few things a little at a time to get ready to re-build. I've been reading quite a bit about building up these motors, but here's my question, I want to know the best way to make it somewhat "bullet proof". I'm not building it to be a racer or anything, just something fun to putt around on. I want to go through the engine and tranny to make sure everything is good, and I was planning on rebuilding the top end anyway.

Anything I should pre-order, or wait until it's apart?

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I will definitely have to split the case. I measured the connecting rod side play last night and the front is about 3/32" play. That is twice what it should be. I also found out why it was smoking. The rear piston was broken between the rings. The piece didn't fall out until I went to tap the wrist pin out, though. Surprisingly, the cylinder is not scored. I'll be getting the jugs and heads to the machine shop soon. I found a motorcycle shop here in Houston that does there own machining.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts