Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, letting the world know at 52 and through 30+ bikes I finally bought my first Harley. 1978 SX 125. Funny, I know. Just curious if there are other folks out there with these bikes and interested in sharing parts and mods ideas ect. My bike only has 433 miles from new and am currently cleaning and getting ready to fire it up. It ran breifly when I got it but not well. Old gas, dirty carb, poorly adjusted cables. Please let me know if there are small businesses ect that cater to these bikes or where parts might be readily available.

Thansk, AJ.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello ajay, welcome
Heres a link, another member working on a 250, found some parts in the Netherlands. He might have a useful site link for you.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hello all, letting the world know at 52 and through 30+ bikes I finally bought my first Harley. 1978 SX 125. Funny, I know. Just curious if there are other folks out there with these bikes and interested in sharing parts and mods ideas ect. My bike only has 433 miles from new and am currently cleaning and getting ready to fire it up. It ran breifly when I got it but not well. Old gas, dirty carb, poorly adjusted cables. Please let me know if there are small businesses ect that cater to these bikes or where parts might be readily available.

Thansk, AJ.
This is the FIRST i have even heard of that will start!
Best of luck with this ole' dinosaur... I say this with 💛

Now whatever happen to that guy Nipples? That restored the mini's?

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello ajay, welcome
Heres a link, another member working on a 250, found some parts in the Netherlands. He might have a useful site link for you.
Thanks, as he stated Ebay is actually a pretty decent outlet for random parts. Already got a carb kit, some new oil lines, and a replacement for the plastic screw that holds the side cover on. Ultrasonically cleaning the carb today but, to be honest, it wasn't that bad, the gas smelled old but hadn't hardened up or anyhting. Guy I got it from kept it inside most of it's life (think he owned it since 1984) just took it out once or twice a season for a little rip down the road.
Was curious if anyone else that has dealt with this platform or similar had issues with the throttle cabe. Like I said, bike has just over 400 miles on it and the cable, which is split, one to the carb the other to the oil injection. It is in like new condition except the side that goes to the oil injector has a TON of slop in it and is adjusted to MAX. I can't assume that it's that stretched out considering the low miles and there's really no load on it anyway.
Anyway, prolly get the carb kit this week, install new fuel and oil lines and some fresh gas and see what happens. Even got some NOS 2 stroke oil!
Product Liquid Fluid Font Drink

·
Retired citizen
26,065 Posts
I had a SX250 at my shop and couldn't locate ignition parts for it, the owner picked it back up. I have a 350 Sprint at my shop I'm working on now, parts still a problem.

·
Registered
26,943 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut.

From the Home page....
Moto Italia has been sold!
The new owner is in the process of relocating inventory and setting up to re-open.
Please check back for Grand Re-Opening date/details to be posted here soon!
Until the Grand Re-Opening we will not be taking any orders. Thank you for your patience during this transition and we look forward to serving you soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, in yet another installment of everything electrical is carburation and vice versa, finally got the ole SX125 up and going...the carb that came on the bike and a messed up float pin so i couldn't pull the float out and replace the needle...got a different one on ebay for $60...ultrasonically cleaned it and bolted it up with a rebuild kit and a fresh needle...fired up first kick...chased a few fuel leaks and made a "shim" of sorts for the oil injection cable and put everything back together. petcock is still dripping a lil so i ordered a new one but for the time being, fires right up...know i should have done the whole "cold start" thing but, trust me, it was the first time since reassembly and it was cold.

·
Retired citizen
26,065 Posts
well, in yet another installment of everything electrical is carburation and vice versa, finally got the ole SX125 up and going...the carb that came on the bike and a messed up float pin so i couldn't pull the float out and replace the needle...got a different one on ebay for $60...ultrasonically cleaned it and bolted it up with a rebuild kit and a fresh needle...fired up first kick...chased a few fuel leaks and made a "shim" of sorts for the oil injection cable and put everything back together. petcock is still dripping a lil so i ordered a new one but for the time being, fires right up...know i should have done the whole "cold start" thing but, trust me, it was the first time since reassembly and it was cold.

So OK, where are ya going with this yet ? I'm still wrenching on the 350 Sprint electric starter !!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello @ajay809 and welcome from Virginia. I love what you are doing here and would love some more pictures when you get a chance.

As a teenager in 1980, I bought two OSSA 250s to race. A couple of guys on the circuit has the 250 Sprints and made fun of my old bikes (1968 vintage). I look forward to seeing your baby fully up and running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts