Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
helping my friend fix his lowrider,lifter lost its needle bearings,made a terrible noise so we tore it apart,bought new lifters,cam,cam bearing,gaskets.So my question is do i line up the timing marks on the cam with the other gears ,or do i set no. one piston at top dead center first?

·
Registered
42,157 Posts
Set timing marks on cam with other gears.

·
Banned
71 Posts
helping my friend fix his lowrider,lifter lost its needle bearings,made a terrible noise so we tore it apart,bought new lifters,cam,cam bearing,gaskets.So my question is do i line up the timing marks on the cam with the other gears ,or do i set no. one piston at top dead center first?
If you put a new cam in, remove the new gear and replace it with the old gear that was on the old cam .

A service manual would come in handy right about now too .

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
You'll end up with the front piston at TDC when you line the timing marks up unless there's something wrong with the pinion shaft. Use a straw to verify the piston position for piece of mind.
You might also want to verify that the pinion gear keyway isn't buggered up cause that can throw the timing off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1981 Shovel

So heres my confusion,all three manuals ,tell me to line up ,cam,oil,crankshaft timing marks,i have done that,now working on end play ,cam gear.
It sounds too easy,so i ask the question about is there something i am missing,SHMITTYS tells me that when i align the timing marks as stated in all three manuals,the front cylinder will be top dead center.
Well thats not happening,pistons,crankshaft,have not been disturbed.
Should i just follow the manual??

·
Registered
42,157 Posts
Are you saying you can turn the pinion gear on the end of the crankshaft without moving the pistons / crankshaft?

If so, that's a big problem. Should be keyed so that the pinion gear and crankshaft can not move independent of each other.

·
Just Ride
3,767 Posts
Bring front cylinder to top dead center then align marks.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
So heres my confusion,all three manuals ,tell me to line up ,cam,oil,crankshaft timing marks,i have done that,now working on end play ,cam gear.
It sounds too easy,so i ask the question about is there something i am missing,SHMITTYS tells me that when i align the timing marks as stated in all three manuals,the front cylinder will be top dead center.
Well thats not happening,pistons,crankshaft,have not been disturbed.
Should i just follow the manual??
Remove the cam, rotate the crank 360 degrees, replace the cam aligning all 3 timing marks. Check to see that the front piston is at the top with all marks aligned.
Should look like Kainam's pic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts