Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, it's an old bike, an early Evo, the right crankcase is cracked rear cyllinder front stud and goes across to front stud. I know it has been an issue and I accept that. UT I just took the motor out and, even though the numbers match, these cases are way off at the rear mount, not even close. It looks like harley grabbed them from different versions of this early case set. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok, it's an old bike, an early Evo, the right crankcase is cracked rear cyllinder front stud and goes across to front stud. I know it has been an issue and I accept that. UT I just took the motor out and, even though the numbers match, these cases are way off at the rear mount, not even close. It looks like harley grabbed them from different versions of this early case set. Anyone seen this before?
I've looked at worse match ups than that before. Some sets look like the MoCo just machined the cases after they were bolted together .

Outsides don't really matter much anyway, it's the inside machining that counts . :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Means nothing. The crank line-bore is the important part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I appreciate it. I feel much better dealing with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The is only one way to deal with that, as welding/machining is not going to hold the torque load of the head bolt.
Either send them in to the Moco for a number re-stamp on a new set of Mercury-Marine castings, or (our reccomendation) bite the bullet and buy a set of S&S cases.
We have another semi-similar in here now, split from the right rear stud, running diagonally to the center case bolt, and fractured in the 90* machined corner behind the r/tappet block, ready to lift that section up/off the cases.
Seen this many times before, usually at least once/twice a year.
Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received my used factory 1989 cases and dropped them off at the machine shop. Of course my luck the guy says 1989 was hands down the worst cases ever. He is going to check them out but biting the bullet on new s&s makes more and more sense. Keeping my fingers crossed because money is wicked tight. My advice to anyone in this position, if you can, steer clear of the HD cases. Even a Tech at HD admitted if I went brand new stock cases I would still need to take it easy on em.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
89 had issues.......

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I just received my used factory 1989 cases and dropped them off at the machine shop. Of course my luck the guy says 1989 was hands down the worst cases ever. He is going to check them out but biting the bullet on new s&s makes more and more sense. Keeping my fingers crossed because money is wicked tight. My advice to anyone in this position, if you can, steer clear of the HD cases. Even a Tech at HD admitted if I went brand new stock cases I would still need to take it easy on em.
Those replacement HD cases really are pretty tough, from the almost 30 years here of building them.:)
Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found some stock cases on eBay got them home and machinist said 1989 was the worst year and that these were junk. He said the ultimas are actually pretty good and 709 bucks to my door is barely doable right now. I hope the made in China cases are ok though, he might be referring to the USA ones.

·
Registered
40,064 Posts
I wouldn't be putting no China cases on my bike!

I wouldn't even use a Korean Rev-Tech (made by KIA) motor. :bigbarf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts