Harley Davidson Forums banner

1986 sportster mid sets HELP

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Highrez 
#1 ·
Hey I’m new to sportsters I have a buell and bought this 1986 i just picked up to work on over the winter, it has mid sets Im trying to put on I attached a pic I’m wondering if circled red pedal mount is a stud and if it’s possible they put a shorter one in when putting on the forward controls. I know the 1986-90 have their own controls, the foot peg fits but only 1/2 threads shows past it.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome I appreciate the help, I figured it was a stud can I remove it and run a bolt there my foot peg is like two threads past the peg itself, so not sure if it was replaced with a shorter stud as it had a chrome cap from the previous owner.

#7 ·
That stud might have gotten tightened to far into the inner primary. Try double jam nuts on the exposed threads to turn it out several turns. That stud is threaded on both ends and screws into the inner primary so when the peg was removed and the acorn nut was installed and tightened it probably bottomed out on the stud and continued turning the stud into the inner primary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.