Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starter button is pushed only hear clicking sound. Battery is fine and starter relay appears to check out. Could it be a short in wiring? This has happened in past and when hitting starter again it would engage now though it clicks more than it starts. Previous owner had removed turn sigmals and plan on re-wiring but just looking for some thoughts on what others have experienced, to point me in the right direction - Thanks

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
My first thought is battery connections make sure their just tight enough so the leads dont twist around underneath the fasteners

·
Registered
39,463 Posts
Check starter solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

Just bought an 87' myself. Got some wiring issues though everything works and the turn signals are gone.

When I get a bike, I usually take a day to go over all the electrical connections and clean them. It can be a pain, but it can solve a lot of old connection problems. You also get a chance to find those connections that are just barely hanging on.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Check starter solenoid.
Yup. Make sure the high current + connection from the battery to the solenoid is good and snugged down tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fender62,
Is this fixed? There is a similar question on another forum for the same model bike. From 86-90 this was a common problem. I don't know what check you made on the starter relay that makes you think it is ok, however this is probably the problem. Try replacing the starter relay and see if this helps. I had several sporters in these years and it is a real common problem.
Good luck.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
solenoid is a ggod place to start.i found in the past when you have to hit a starter to get it working usually means the starter is on its way out,time for a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts