Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working on a friends 1986 Sportster and its ann 1100 Liberty edition > this one has a belt drive and the front pulley is shot but all i read was its supposed to be chain drive ? the front pulley does have harley ID numers on it so guess i'll have to go to the stealer ?? could this bike have been converted to belt drive or did they make a belt drive Liberty ?? on google alot of the pulleys look similar but not sure if they will fit cause most are newer models. the knuckle head that she got it frm didnt lock tight the pulley and the nut backed off and screwed up the teeth on the pulley so it just spins on tranny out put shaft. and help or comments are very appreciated

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
Was a chain. Convert it back or start trying to match pulley

·
Banned
71 Posts
working on a friends 1986 Sportster and its ann 1100 Liberty edition > this one has a belt drive and the front pulley is shot but all i read was its supposed to be chain drive ? the front pulley does have harley ID numers on it so guess i'll have to go to the stealer ?? could this bike have been converted to belt drive or did they make a belt drive Liberty ?? on google alot of the pulleys look similar but not sure if they will fit cause most are newer models. the knuckle head that she got it frm didnt lock tight the pulley and the nut backed off and screwed up the teeth on the pulley so it just spins on tranny out put shaft. and help or comments are very appreciated
Just replace with the same part number pulley . This time use LocTite. :thumb

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
86 and 87 were chain drive. Must have been changed. Just get the part number you've got.

By the way, what is the part number?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I had a '86 it was chain drive. The dealer sold belt drive conversion kits for $200. Easy enough to carry the front pulley in and compare splines to newer ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts