Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new to the forum, but not to Harley Davidson bikes. I road a '71 Shovelhead for 20 years and now ride a '96 Road King.
For something to do, I picked up a very tired 1987 883 XLH which was rode hard and looks like NEVER maintained. It came "styled like the 90's" with FLH tanks, valanced front fender and bobbed rear fender.
I want to use a stock small sportster tank, but am unsure which fuel petcock style to use. I have seen used tanks with the fuel petcock on the right and left side.This bike a has a solid motor mount bracket on the left side and of course the carb on the right side, so which version would fit my bike.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
My son's 87 883 uses a straight petcock on the left side.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you advise what style primary cover you have. Mine has a 2" diameter plug that threads in for clutch adjustment but is not a large enough opening to access the pivot for replacing a clutch cable. I have to remove the complete primary to change the cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just ordered a stock tank off of e-bay. There is a small vent on the bottom near the left front. Where does that vent go?
Thanks
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts