Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been researching and have had no luck. I just picked up a 1988 Springer Softail FXSTS. I was wondering if someone could tell me if the drain plug for the trans fluid is located between the rear shocks like on other models? The reason I ask is the other day I was under the bike cleaning it up and just between and back a bit from the rear shocks was a small red handled valve lever with a small discharge stem just underneath it (maybe 1/4" opening). I'm curious if before my uncles passing he rigged something up to make draining the trans easier. Some of the old Harley vets at the dealership weren't sure either. Thoughts?? :think

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The transmission drain plug on your bike is on the right side of the transmission, not between the shocks (that is the way the newer Softail transmissions are set up).

But your uncle could have installed a drain tube and valve to make it easier to drain, as the original configuration is not very user friendly, it is behind the muffler and I have always removed the muffler in order to gain access to the drain plug.

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission drain plug on your bike is on the right side of the transmission, not between the shocks (that is the way the newer Softail transmissions are set up).

Thanks. I'll take a look and see if it's there. If not I'll try and trace where that valve comes from.

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
The trans drain plug is below the clutch release cover the dipstick is in. I think it's a #30 Torx.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
There was an oil drain advertised a lot in the 90's that sounds like your description. I think it had a Japanese sounding name. I'll try and remember/find something on it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There was an oil drain advertised a lot in the 90's that sounds like your description. I think it had a Japanese sounding name. I'll try and remember/find something on it.
You are probably thinking of a Fumoto drain valve, but they are sized for the drain plug of a car or truck, so if that is what is rigged on this bike, it would have to be connected by a hose going to the drain plug on the trapdoor of the transmission.

By the way, the Fumoto drain valve is still sold, I have them on all my cars and truck, they work great.

Here`s what it looks like:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CMWE0vH3wrcCFRKZ4AodOUcAlQ

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
You are probably thinking of a Fumoto drain valve, but they are sized for the drain plug of a car or truck, so if that is what is rigged on this bike, it would have to be connected by a hose going to the drain plug on the trapdoor of the transmission.

By the way, the Fumoto drain valve is still sold, I have them on all my cars and truck, they work great.

Here`s what it looks like:

Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

That's it!! Thanks for the update.

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I found the trans plug and got everything g drained. I traced the valve I found that it went to the oil. Looks like he installed it to make it less messy and easier to change. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts