Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 FLHS with an evo in it. I know very little of the mechanical terms so forgive my ignorance. All I know is I have a very small oil leak near my cylinder head. My local dealer said it would be about $300 to replace the gasket and $900 to do the head if its too warped. All I'm asking for is a 2nd opinion if this can wait a couple of weeks to a month. I'm 19 out on my own making $9 an hour, $300 is a lot of money to me. lol. Anyways my reasoning for wanting a 2nd opinion from my dealer is b/c they inspected my engine and changed the oil and even slapped on new straight pipes to make my bike louder. After they take my $300 for the pipes and put them on they inspect the engine a 2nd time and then find the oil leak. So I understand this is very little info but please any and all advice would be nice. I'm reading all I can to learn more and I'm calling the shop 1st thing in the morning.

thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
My opinion, yeah it can wait a couple weeks to a month. Just monitor your oil level closely till you get it fixed. But it would be nice to have it fixed before riding season gets into full swing.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
The next $60 in your pocket should be for a Service Manual. There's not a lot you wouldn't be able to do with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
next $60

I have some extra cash about $200 to play with. For $320 they can fix the gaskets if the leaked hasn't warped anything that is. My uncle used to work on motorcycles but now he's a busy guy...still might be able to get his help. My point being service manual plus me and my uncle=cheaper than $320 solution at the shop?

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
if you can read, you can fix that oil leak. listen to these guys and get you a manual for your bike, you will see its the best investment there is for a bike.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have some extra cash about $200 to play with. For $320 they can fix the gaskets if the leaked hasn't warped anything that is. My uncle used to work on motorcycles but now he's a busy guy...still might be able to get his help. My point being service manual plus me and my uncle=cheaper than $320 solution at the shop?
Leaks don't warp things: Warpage causes leaks. You're allowed .006" for warpage on an Evo jug base. You won't know till it comes off.

The only special tool you'll need is a ring compressor. You can get one for less then $20 at Autozone/P-Boys/your favorite car place. You can probably borrow a torque wrench from someone, unless you already own one.

The manual will walk you through it, and despite people telling you you'll need to "cut" the stock, non-adjustable pushrods, you DON'T.

Keep them in the order they came out, as they're color coded for their position in the engine.

Take your time and it's not hard.

The gasket kit is going to be your biggest expense. However, I'd recommended new rings and at least honing the cylinders if you're taking the top end apart....... It's not manditory though.:thumb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Thanks a lot guys. I just ordered a manual & I think I will take it on myself since my money situation isn't going to change. lol. I'll keep this thread updated for ne1 who wants to know how it goes. If I can take a computer apart and rebuild I think I can handle this as long as I have the manual. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k

I will as soon as I get it back from the shop, they're still putting on my new straight pipes...then I'll have it back to work on the leak.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I will as soon as I get it back from the shop, they're still putting on my new straight pipes...then I'll have it back to work on the leak.
I'da told them to stop with the pipes and fix the leak.

Priorities.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
too late

I thought that too but I already paid for them and they already installed the pipes after they found the oil leak. SO too late for me to save the money but thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts