Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 Electra Glide Classic runs fine in town. When I get on the highway if I go to pass someone it cuts out between 70 and 75, almost like your were shutting it off. Back off the throttle and it runs fine again. I know the carb is worn and needs replaced, any other suggestions? Any suggestions for a replacement carb?
Thanks
:biking:

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Depending how many miles are on the bike it could be a broken wire in the main harness at the right frame in front of the tank. With the engine idling tug and pull at the harness in that area and swing the forks lock to lock. If the engine tries to stall there's broken wires inside the harness.
There's a thread here outlining the procedure to repair the harness.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I'm not saying this to be a smart @ss, your probably very experienced. But are you running in such a low gear, your hitting your rev limiter?? Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'm not saying this to be a smart @ss, your probably very experienced. But are you running in such a low gear, your hitting your rev limiter?? Just a thought.
Does a 1990 have a rev limiter?

I would also check the ignition coil. They tend to behave like that when they are starting to fail.

Does it only do it under load? If you rev it up with it sitting in neutral will it sputter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I am not hitting the rev limiter and all advise is welcome, I would not be offended. When in neutral it revs fine. I ride but am by no means a mechanic so all this is appreciated. The bike has 64+ on it. I did play with the wires and could not get it to cut out when idling.
Thanks

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
If its a carb issue, try running some seafoam on a couple of tanks, see if that makes a difference. I'm not a wrench but I'm halfway between thinking its electrical (because its cutting out) or carb.. but if it were carb issues, it would feel like its starving for fuel...

@Chasarms there are two types of rev limiters, on older engines, it comes in the form of "valve float" when the rpms are pushing too much oil pressure, causing the valves to stay part open. Electronic ignition modules have this built in which you can change. I could be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I am genuinely curious about the rev limiter. I haven't had a chance to be around very many H-Ds of that vintage or older.

I would be surprised to discover it's fuel. If it is sucking for fuel, a motor tends to be just be generally lethargic like you're riding with a brake on or a sail behind you. When it gets really bad, it'll sputter. I've never heard of a fuel problem causing an issue described as the motor "almost like you were shutting it off" - especially on a carb setup. Maybe EFI but not carb.

I think it almost has to be an ignition issue - either the power to the coil is being interrupted, the coil itself is failing or the plug wires/plugs have an issue.

Of course, I could be, and often am, wrong.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I am genuinely curious about the rev limiter. I haven't had a chance to be around very many H-Ds of that vintage or older.
I think one of our experts might be able to steer us in the right direction.. could be the blind leading the blind here.. I'm always wrong, just ask my wife:rollin

Sorry for the thread drift...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Check the fuel petcock and screen. I just had an 88 ultra in my shop that would cruise with no problems, if you wicked it hard it would cut out. I found the petcock plugged. When I took it out of the tank there was a little debris in the screen but when I try to blow through it it had resistance and then blew a big Hoover across my shop! Runs t!tts now. It's worth a try. Won't cost anything but a little time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Check the fuel petcock and screen. I just had an 88 ultra in my shop that would cruise with no problems, if you wicked it hard it would cut out. I found the petcock plugged. When I took it out of the tank there was a little debris in the screen but when I try to blow through it it had resistance and then blew a big Hoover across my shop! Runs t!tts now. It's worth a try. Won't cost anything but a little time.

Bingo. I've seen just that,Bro thought he had electrical problem and it was fuel tank screen.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,148 Posts
Invest in a carb kit and ta couple cans of carb cleaner take it apart and blow every thing out with cleaner and put the new gaskets and accellorator pump in it. Then take petcock out and clean screen if you find alot of crude on the screen take the tank off and flush out with clean gas and try that . Had this same problem last year had to clean every thing in the carb to fix the problem and replace the gaskets and misc parts in kit 20 bucks or less for a gasket kit------ Ebay

Good luck with you project

1 - 14 of 14 Posts