Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of an ignition switch getting voltage through the fork lock mechanism? Had an electrical issue on my bike and suspected the ignition switch. When I took the switch out the problem went away. I tested the head of the screw on the switch for the fork lock linkage and have 2 volts going through it. I think that with the switch installed it is grounding out causing low voltage to the electrical in the fairing. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What is the electrical problem, and how did you connect your voltmeter to determine that there was current at the fork lock?

When you say you took the switch out, do you mean when you disconnected all the wires?

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Check the wire harness along the frame ahead of the tank. With ignition on wiggle, tug, yank on that harness next to the fork neck. Wires have been known to break inside that harness after years of fork swings back and forth. Shorts to B+ can happen causing voltage in ground circuits.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Generally when you read voltage on a ground, it means there is a bad ground. But without knowing exactly how he configured the voltmeter and whether anything was turned on etc, it is hard to know.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Also, if you are using a Digital meter, just a little moisture combined with some dirt can conduct enough to show on the meter. Try putting a small test lamp across the ground and switch and see if the voltage goes away.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
I was taking into account the age of the bike.
gtrman66 had the same issue with one of his bikes with that harness. He also posted pics of the damage and repair solution.
I've repaired at least 10 with that harness wire breakage. I'm sure there's more out there that haven't been diagnosed yet. Just not something someone thinks of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. I was out of town and didn't get back right away. No, I still had all the wires hooked up on the switch. Problem was only 10-11 volts power to fairing but good battery, good charging system and good power to the battery stud on ignition switch. Accessory,lights and ignition only had 10-11 volts. Couldn't even get my turn signals to come on. Problem started out very intermittent. I pulled the switch out and left wires hooked up and it works fine. I checked voltage between the screw on the ignition switch that controls the fork lock and ground and got around two volts. Don't know what to do for sure, maybe it is in the wires and when I pulled the switch out they made good contact. Hoping the switch isn't bad Harley says its discontinued. Can't seem to find one. More input would be helpful, hate to just throw parts at it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Check for any damage to the harness as Schmidty suggested.

Also check the ground between the forks and the frame.

Set the multimeter to read volts D.C.

Touch the voltmeter negative probe to the negative battery post, and touch the voltmeter positive probe to the forks, you should not see any voltage reading.

If you get a reading, move the positive probe to the frame and see if it changes.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
If you're getting a volt reading at ground points be careful using your meter in the ohm setting, could blow the meter fuse.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you're getting a volt reading at ground points be careful using your meter in the ohm setting, could blow the meter fuse.
Edited my previous post to clarify, meter should be set to volts.

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
I bypassed the switch on a 94 bagger I had. Kept the switch for locking. Drilled a hole in fairing and installed a barrel key setup. Looked like a security system switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts