Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did have an older thread from Schmidty telling me to re-route the hose back to oil tank, but make sure nipple was high on oil tank so it would function like the breather it was intended too, thru the air filter.......
I didn't take that route and when running it at least 2 or 3 xs a week, then I could expect the check valve, which consist of a ball bearing to work, keeping the oil from the crank case from spewing out thru the air filter. My problem started after spewing out a half quart of oil thru the air filter and then cleaning up the spill and air filter, restarted engine and warmed up about 5 minutes and everything seemed well.....after riding about 10 miles it started spewing clean oil, thru the air filter and all over the engine.......cleaned it up, but I still think the check valve is sticking and still re-leasing oil from the crank case. How do you unstick this valve and stop the spewing of good oil from the engine while riding?..............I'm all ears on this one.........:dunno

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
If you google "Harley crankcase oil sumping" or variations of the words, you will get more and better instructions than I can give. But I'll give a few basics anyhow. The check ball may have a piece of debris under it, or may be worn or damaged. Use a magnet to pull it out and inspect. Any marks or lines indicate need for replacement. If you have an old Harley pushrod, it's the end is the same size as the ball. You can use it or an extra ball to lap the oil pump seat (I don't use any abrasive for obvious reasons), or give it a tap with a hammer to even the seat. That's the basics, spend some time searching and reading to get all the ideas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'91 FLHTC Oil Spewing.........

After reading a few thread as Breeze3at, said, I should know better and only check and fill oil after warming up. I've ran my EVO after a Top End Re-Build about 4 k miles already and this problem happened after a few long rides, just recently after filling when cold = Overfill Harley even says most older and newer bikes should be checked when warmed up, cause overfilling is a very common mistake and happens quite frequently. After getting oil cleaned up from engine and back to normal level after warming up, Ill see if engine functions normal.......If Not then it's Schimty's idea of reseating the check ball with 2 New check balls and take it from there.........I thought if was odd happening all of a sudden for no reason. Like my last episode with the "S&S Carb float sticking ever so slightly, enough to leak gas fumes to fillup my garage after a few good rides.......Live and Learn.......:bike-038:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts