Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to remove the steering neck bearing races from my 1991 FXSTS neck ? I see they have a tool, I heard 2 different diy versions, one said put a screwdriver u7nder the bottom lip,tthen form the opposite end insert a 3/8 extention uo so it hits the screwdriver and tap the race out,, same goes for the bottom race..
Then I heard you cant get a screwdriver under the edge of the race because of the shape of the neck.. Has anyone actually done this ?

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
If the race is flush to the land in the fork neck you can Dremel grind a small groove in the neck right below the race for a screwdriver or chisel to fit then hammer the race out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't weld but am thinking of ordering a tool that is supposed to remove and install the bearing races in the steering neck.. Has anyone used this tool ? I'm going to attach a photo ..
Camera accessory Font Audio equipment Logo Cap

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
I don't weld but am thinking of ordering a tool that is supposed to remove and install the bearing races in the steering neck.. Has anyone used this tool ? I'm going to attach a photo .. View attachment 802180
You'll need the driver tool for that too. J&P sells that tool set for much less than Jims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts