Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently notice my oil tank's dip stick is allowing oil to escape. I notice a mist on the side of the tank, and today There was a little line where oil had trickled down the side of the tank.
The dipstick is used from 1984 -1991 softtail and Probably obsolete.by now.
Has anyone found a solution to increasing the size of the rubber plug under the dipstick cap ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This exact thing happened to my '03. Seemed that the rubber seals were shot. I ordered from HD, haven't had the issue come back (note: the HD part i received was a bit longer than original, by design).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered a new dipstick with filler cap ( has temp gauge too) from here in Canada ,. Fort Nine had it . I also ordered 4 oil filters from them, since they are only $10 Canadian, ( $7 bucks US ? ) . Meanwhile I took a Glad Contractor garbage bag, and cut a piece out of it, then doubled it over and punched a small hole in the center which I poked the dipstick through . seems to do the job so far .

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Meanwhile I took a Glad Contractor garbage bag, and cut a piece out of it, then doubled it over and punched a small hole in the center which I poked the dipstick through . seems to do the job so far .
That is a pretty shaky thing to do...

If that plastic finds its way down into the tank you may be back here asking what is the knocking noise you hear....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts