Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice. My bike was acting like it was running out of gas even with a full tank of fuel, at first I thought it was vapor lock and I re-routed the fuel line and still had the same issue so I finally took it to the local dealer and they found the casting in the carburetor that the float pin goes through was worn oval causing the float to stay up closing the fuel flow. The dealer replaced the carburetor and I road it home. Now the bike sounds different hard to describe but on the highway the exhaust sounds very distinct, almost like you can hear each cylinder fire rather then blending together like it use to sound, the power is just the same. Also now it will backfire from the carburetor only while not under a load, no matter which gear or what speed.
Any ideas why it sounds different and why the backfiring? The dealer wants to put it on their dyno to find the problem and I have it scheduled to go next weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Chubby

·
Banned
18,203 Posts
sounds like the carb might have a bit of an air leak around a seal (backfire under no load)
did the match the jets to your old jets?

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
Your carb has been wearing out for a while and you just got used to the sound of your bike over time . The spit back through the carb is probably a seal leak like RB1 stated or the dealer didn't bother installing a fatter pilot jet .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll check for an air leak.
While riding yesterday I noticed that with the enricher slightly out it didn't have any problem that does indicate to me an air leak as you said.
I did ask if they checked that the jet was the same and they said they didn't, not sure why, seems like it would have been the thing to do to me.
I don't know what putting the bike on the dyno would tell them, I wondered that myself.
Rockerbox1, I need to know how you got a photo of my wifes chest for your avatar?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Rockerbox1, I need to know how you got a photo of my wifes chest for your avatar?
I'll vote YES for that ............

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
Thanks, I'll check for an air leak.
While riding yesterday I noticed that with the enricher slightly out it didn't have any problem that does indicate to me an air leak as you said.
I did ask if they checked that the jet was the same and they said they didn't, not sure why, seems like it would have been the thing to do to me.
I don't know what putting the bike on the dyno would tell them, I wondered that myself.
Rockerbox1, I need to know how you got a photo of my wifes chest for your avatar?[/QUOTE]

I wuz wundering that too ... didn't look like that the last time I seen it ... :laugh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts