Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m new to the community and I’ve got a 1992 fxrs I’m getting ready to replace my base gaskets any idea what the torque specs are for the head bolts. I’ve looked it up and I’ve gotten 9,15,25,42 and from my understanding that’s what each bolt gets for every sequence
Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
From my 1992 HD service manual: front cyl. bolts are # 1 & 3 (exh.side) and # 2 & 4 (intake side). Clean and lube the head bolt threads, tighten #1 to 7 ft.lbs., then # 2, 3, 4 in that order, to 7-9 ft.lbs.. Then repeat exact seq. to 12-14 ft.lbs. Then MARK cyl. head and bolt head with corresponding lines --- --- and turn each in above sequence, one quarter (90 deg.) using the marks as a guide. When all marks are positioned, the procedure is complete. NOTE; there were many reported problems of the STUDs, pulling the threads out of the cases, and a lot of recommendations to use new studs or at least thoroughly cleaning the stud threads and case threads. Many recommendations of using higher torque values instead of the factory 1/4 turn. I go with service manual. Do yourself a favor and google a whole lot of info. on early Evo cylinder stud problems. I've R&R'd my ''92 heads several times using the oem studs, BUT maybe i'm just lucky. Good luck, report back after a few miles.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
I've always done it the way Breeze3at stated, by the book. I don't replace the studs every time but do ensure they're secure, if I find a loose one they all get removed. I'll clean the threads in the case and on the studs then reinstall using red thread locker.
Note that the base gaskets will probably be bonded to the cylinder bases and difficult to remove. I use a sharp gasket scraper and a pneumatic die grinder fitted with strip and clean discs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts