Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from my recent problematic Primary I have been trying to focus on how to make this thing a bit more comfortable. I mentioned in a recent post that I was picking up a 2 up seat. I tried it out today and think I could run for hours with it as opposed to the gunfighter Corbin Sturgis 60 I had on it. The trouble was the saddle bags where riding way to forward and made the bike look a lot smaller than it is. The 2 up seat gave me the height raise I was looking for being 6'2 This will give me time as far as shocks go. I removed the struts and the sissy bar brackets. Cleaned em up a bit but have to get bigger stainless bolts for wear the blinkers where. I had to drill out the struts only as the sissy bar bracket hole accommodate the blinker stems. 1 picture of the before and I ,ll post tomorrow of the where it is at and then the outcome of the swapped seat and location. I added 8 Inch baffles and they seem to be chocking out the engine so I may cut them down to six or reinstall the 4" shorty's. Update tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Most put the saddlebag yoke under the seat. It keeps it from riding forward, but can interfere with turn signals. Most yokes have several holes in the yoke so ride height can be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is an older picture when I first got them I did have them under the seat recently. I moved the blinkers to the rear of the struts and cut the stems to ride close for tire clearance. I just picked up some stainless screws and will be going at it in a bit. I,ll post updated pics later on today. Would be a great time to paint the rear fender but not ready for that yet. I's not terrible but has a few dings in the paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I think you have the bags sitting nice on it now. That's a good blue paint, I wouldn't worry about a couple of chips (ok, I would worry, but I wouldn't do anything yet).

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea before they would cover the shocks not a lot of room for the passengers legs. I love the comfort of the new seat. It came off an 1986 . I would like to get the matching back rest with the buttons. I am also glad I fixed that stinkin chain like noise in the primary. My replacement flywheel showed up today and the strange thing is it is an 8 bolt flywheel and is the same diameter as my 4 bolt. The one from 2006 has a bigger sprocket. Great get up and go but it loses top end cruising features. I also read about putting plastic pipe in the fork tubes to tighten and heighten the front end This would be good now that I have the higher thicker softer seat Great for my back.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yea before they would cover the shocks not a lot of room for the passengers legs. I love the comfort of the new seat. It came off an 1986 . I would like to get the matching back rest with the buttons. I am also glad I fixed that stinkin chain like noise in the primary. My replacement flywheel showed up today and the strange thing is it is an 8 bolt flywheel and is the same diameter as my 4 bolt. The one from 2006 has a bigger sprocket. Great get up and go but it loses top end cruising features. I also read about putting plastic pipe in the fork tubes to tighten and heighten the front end This would be good now that I have the higher thicker softer seat Great for my back.
VW valve springs used to be used to tighten up a sagging front end. Other makes have different diameters & heights. Probably free at a good ol' boy garage.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I would prefer something solid. I am 1/2 Onz short last time I redid the oil about 3 moths ago. My brand new semi metalic brakes squeal a bit even after using the rubberized additive on the backs of the shoes. They will work in I,m sure getting less and less squeal. Rotors are looking good cutting in. last I used sintered on the rear and they wore fast Half gone in three months. I will use the carbon fiber next time. I put over 200 Miles on the bike since my last post with No Primary chain wrapping noise the biggest problem is solved. I recommend all sportster owners and maybe others to remove that blasted spacer plate as even if you do not have an issue yet (My bike had 24000 when I bought it and now has 27000) do yourself a favor and rip that mother F in peace of crap out before it does the damage.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a few things on the update. I installed my Rocker boxes. I have had issues with cutting out after installing the 8 inch baffles cut down to 5 inches. Rebuilt the intake gaskets and carburetor. Still cutting out. Took apart the carb and removed the main jet and cleaned it all up. Took it for a ride much much better but still a cut out when hammering the throttle. May revert back to the 4 inch shorty Baffles or rejet the carb. As for the primary noise problem was solved. As for the bigger front flywheel sprocket with the 57 tooth clutch basket just seems like lost a bit to much top end with a slight over rev problem. Nothing under 50 MPH. I have a new 34 T X3 row smaller flywheel spocket the new 94 link chain and am trying to get another 56 T Clutch Basket drum as apposed to the 57 T which only works with the bigger flywheel sprocket 2006 1200. I did also get a 29 T Belt drive Full Splined pulley but have to wait until I revert to see if it gets me where I want to be. Currently using the stock edge spline 27 T. Sold my Sturgis 60 gunfighter seat to a Mate in New Zealand. One more thing I had a guy come up to me at the Gas station today and said he had a full extended fork set up for my bike I asked him what he wanted for it He said he got em for free so I figure I,ll take his number and give him a call have a look and maybe get em for $200.00 Tripple trees and all

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The latest update. Removed the cut 5 inch baffles and put the 4 inch shorty's back in. Due to cutting out about half throttle. Guess re jetting could have been done but My eyesight aint all that and couldn't even read the jet size to go up on the main jet. I removed the front tire and cleaned it up a bit, Tried swapping the disc to the other side but it wouldn't work so the tire for now will remain in the opposite rotation from the previous owner. The front end the guy I mentioned had was a springer with bars light grips etc No wheel. Never made it over to even look at. I want extentions (Longer tubes or the screw on type.) Put the rim back to it's original state and thought about the work involved in trying to clean up the sliders and said hell with it I can deal with it later and painted them in the meantime. New choke cable showed yesterday. I will be putting that on when it warns up a bit later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You still have that seat? I have the backrest you need with the matching pad. Trade ya!

My bike had that setup when I got it.
No I sold it to a mate in New Zealand on Ebay. $80 plus 72 dollars shipping. He wanted it realy bad for his project. I would like the matching back rest pad. I put a mini muff on it but don't really care for it. What size is that tank I got the 2.3 peanut on mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts