Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a little intro to my situation in the new area, but short of it is, I inherited my dad's bike and I think he might have done some dumb things with it.

That brings me to my first question. I believe my father has been riding with the inspection plate off the primary case cover (please correct me if I'm calling things wrong names - I'm self taught in the last two days so far) for at least a couple years.

Is this a thing? (Is it something that can be done without harming the bike?)

My belief was that the primary case should have transmission fluid/chain oil (I'm probably showing severe ignorance here) in it?

I've tried to self teach about this, but some of these foundational things are hard to actually research - especially when you don't know the correct names or terminology for things.

EDIT: Learning more, and apparently, that's a belt inside that thing on this bike, not a chain. So, it doesn't need oil and can be open?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
If there is indeed a belt in the primary, you do not need oil, but that belt needs more air (cooling) than it's gettinig. Remove the derby (live to ride) cover also, so it will get more air. Many primary belt owners choose to run without the primary cover. The starter needs a support bracket if the primary cover is removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything in my brain says, "Something is going to get into that belt and F the thing up without it covered!" (Also big part of my brain says, "Yeah, and it's going to be your pants that get caught in it!")

I've done some more looking since posting, and have seen that it's a thing to just leave it exposed, but really?!? Man, that feels nuts to me.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
You father obviously had his own STYLE - & - I like some of his custom items

1) that looks like a 'solid' FATBOY Rear Wheel
2) definitely an aftermarket SEAT = [email protected]@Ks comfortable :)
3) Shorty WINDSHIELD

Clean it up & enjoy the RIDE

ps: I have a 1995 DYNA Convertible

·
Flats where its at
20 Posts
I posted a little intro to my situation in the new area, but short of it is, I inherited my dad's bike and I think he might have done some dumb things with it.

That brings me to my first question. I believe my father has been riding with the inspection plate off the primary case cover (please correct me if I'm calling things wrong names - I'm self taught in the last two days so far) for at least a couple years.

Is this a thing? (Is it something that can be done without harming the bike?)

My belief was that the primary case should have transmission fluid/chain oil (I'm probably showing severe ignorance here) in it?

I've tried to self teach about this, but some of these foundational things are hard to actually research - especially when you don't know the correct names or terminology for things.

EDIT: Learning more, and apparently, that's a belt inside that thing on this bike, not a chain. So, it doesn't need oil and can be open?
I dont use primary cover at all [over 40 yrs] run a after-market starter mount housing its the rear part of cover only for starter mount. 75 FL has kick and elec start. The belt's open, it runs cooler and is a real lot "easier" to inspect/"change belts". ya can buy covers and guards if ya want... but why? just dont put yer fingers where they dont belong..... duuuu jmh2c still ridin
39 servicar 49 servicar 75 glide Craze

1 - 7 of 7 Posts