Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke 16 spokes on the rear wheel had it relaced rode about 300 to 400 miles broke about 20 spokes any ideas on why I keep breaking them.

·
Wayward Son
23,255 Posts
Improper tuning. Who does your wheel and tire work?
What brand spokes are being used?

·
Retired citizen
23,099 Posts
It seems to me that replacing 16 spokes requires re-spokeing and trueing the whole wheel. With that in mind the wheel itself would have been checked for any faults prior to the new spokes getting laced in. That kinda points a finger at the person doing the spokeing.

Was there any determination as to what caused the 16 spokes to break in the first place ?

Also spoke adjustment is included in every service checklist but often gets overlooked. A simple test that locates loose spokes is ringing their bells, tapping each spoke with a screwdriver and listening to it ting or clink. Torque the clinkers to spec then tap the rest of the spokes to see they all sound the same. In some cases the wheel would need to be put into a trueing stand and trued up.

·
91 FXLR
50 Posts
I send mine to Buchanan Rims and Spokes.

With Buchanan you know its Quality Parts and a professional Job. I spent almost $900 on a New Front Rim to get my bike back on the road.

The reason for the Re-Lacing is because I wanted Chrome Spokes so I bought them on ebay. They turned out to be Cheap Chinese dirty steel, they were worthless junk. The Chinese dont Triple Chrome anything, They Chrome over Dirty Steel so it flakes off rusting like crazy, it's really bad if you live near the ocean. Those spokes cost $40 and plus 400 for lacing. Then I found out about Buchanan who supplied Harley with Spoke Rims once. I purchased a set of Polished Stainless Steel Spokes and took the Rim back for re-Lacing. This time they bent the Rim, but gave me the bike. Riding home going down the Interstate the Bikes front wheel was bent terriblly, you couldn't ride above 40MPH. I made it home removed the Wheel took it back to the Harley Dealer. They removed the new spokes, gave me back my newly Chrome Hub and money. Then I sent the hub with the Polished Stainless Steel Spokes to Buchanan for a New Rim.

If I had only known about Buchanan Rims and Spokes to start.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
With this virus stay home jive, some guys are expanding their waste lines. Just saying

1 - 5 of 5 Posts