Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to start with...it’s not the speed sensor.

New-to me project and my speedometer is acting nuts. Turning on the ignition after about 4 seconds the needle drops about a half inch away from zero. When the bike drives it sweeps underneath and reads what I’m guessing is a perfect mirror of what it should on the right side of the gauge. Backwards.

Here’s what I know:
Part number on the bike is 71014-96. Harley lists 67025-96C for the 1996 lowrider and almost all other dynas with the 4 inch tank gauge and tach. No mention of 71014-96 from Harley. One listed on eBay and sellers claim it was only used on low riders.

Here’s what my multimeter says: 12.9v at the battery. 12.57v to the speedo, 10.47 volts to the VSS power (tested at the gauge and the connector under the seat, 7v at the signal wire and 9.92v at the VSS output to the turn signal module at the gauge. All connections cleaned and grounds seem to check out.

bike had a thunderheart VSS on it and I Put a new HD one on with the same results.

Bikes been worked on and has SE heads and an S&S super E.

Here’s what I don’t know: Did HD have more than one speedometer for the dynas in that era? Are 67025-96c and 71014-96 interchangeable? Should I be getting a higher reading at the VSS output to the turn signal module (white/ green) than the VSS signal wire (white)? Seems weird. Is 2 volts a big drop for the VSS power (red)? Seems like a lot. Is my tachometer done? Possible short?

Any help would be much appreciated. Looks like a new speedo is going to be pricey!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man, nothin.

Couple other things:
stator and vintage regulator check out.

Signal wire at 7v is coming from the speedometer with no change if I unplug the turn signal module. Seems weird to have almost 10v coming from the turn signal module on a wire meant to tell it when to turn the signals off.

Thinking about running the bike with out the turn signal module and see if it corrects it.

I’m more of a torque wrench than a multimeter mechanic. Would love an electrickery wizard to chime in!

·
Retired citizen
23,107 Posts
Hold the trip button in and turn the ignition on at the same time to pull up speedo codes. Read codes in the odo window. Codes explained in the electrical system stickys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I tried it and it just switched the display from mileage to trip odometer. maybe something for the later models.

With the weirdness of the problem (and now my headlight is dead!) I decided to do a deep dive into the wiring harnesses. Pulled the main out of the frame spine (that was fun!) and got the connectors out of the front.

Going to spend a couple days inspecting for shorts and bad connections. The bike was outside for a while so it’s good to get rid of the cob-webs. Pretty sure I’ll need to replace some components but better to check that out first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tracking a short to ground towards the speedometer. Haven’t taken all the connections off the back of it but I have a feeling it’s gonna go all the way to the posts. At least I’ll know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts