Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to replace my original worn Evo. Any suggestions on what motor would swap easily , with a little more top end for passing etc. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
24,100 Posts
Not sure what mods have been done to your 25 year old EVO but what you have in mind means replacing the ignition and fuel system as well. Your bike uses CMP and CKP sensors for ignition and valve train timing. Also the EMS for your bike is obsolete.
You say your Ultra EVO is worn, so how many miles on it and what's the bike history ? How long have you owned this bike ? The more history you provide us will get you better input from this forum's knowledge.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what mods have been done to your 25 year old EVO but what you have in mind means replacing the ignition and fuel system as well. Your bike uses CMP and CKP sensors for ignition and valve train timing. Also the EMS for your bike is obsolete.
You say your Ultra EVO is worn, so how many miles on it and what's the bike history ? How long have you owned this bike ? The more history you provide us will get you better input from this forum's know,
You say your Ultra EVO is worn, so how many miles on it and what's the bike history ? How long have you owned this bike ? The more history you provide us will get you better input from this forum's knowledge.
No motor work has been done on the bike, Ive owned it since 18,000 miles,, I now have 90,000 . Ive installed true dual exhaust and open air cleaner. The motor still runs good but starting to smoke and I travel alot on the bike, it doesnt have much passing power at all and sluggish in the mountains.. People tell me my bike didnt come with fuel injection, But it is fuel Injected regardless.

·
weird member
2,634 Posts
At 90,000 miles, you could do a rebuild. New piston rings (maybe even new pistons entirely), make sure the valves and springs are good, etc, maybe replace the lifters, check the condition of the cam, new engine gaskets and so on. Around 100,000 miles is rebuild time from best I have seen and read for Evos. Refreshing the engine will give you more power without upgrading, assuming you're losing power due to various factors (like a loss of compression from worn out piston rings), but you'll still be rocking stock power (assuming it's all still stock).

Now, in this rebuild process, you could opt to increase the compression ratio and get a better cam and so on. Can talk to an engine builder and they can guide you on upgrades. That will update the power of it a bit. This will be the least costly option if you're looking for more power while refreshing your engine. I have a 1997 Evo that's currently only at 41,000 miles (was at 26,000 when I bought it two years ago)... but at 30,000 or so, I upgraded the engine to a stage 3 level (previously it was a stage 2). My built 80" Evo puts out as much power as a stock 96" twin cam. An engine builder can make recommendations on camshafts for what kind of power increase you're looking for.

Now, you can get modern power and still have an Evo, but it's expensive. S&S makes Evo style engines that are direct replacements, and some that are bigger. I don't know how much the 80" complete engines cost, but they also make Evo engines as large as 124" that will fit in the frame, but one of those crate engines (which come with carburetor, cam and everything else) will set you back around $6,500. They make other sizes, 111 ci is one size I think (but I can't remember). But, they are made to fit in the Evo frame, and they are designed the same as the Evo (single cam, external oil pump, etc). So, you would have a totally spanking new engine though, new everything.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend... and your mechanical abilities if you're not having a shop do all the work for you.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Retired citizen
24,100 Posts
The OP is kinda stuck where the engine mods are now. I'm kinda surprised the engine runs well with the true duals and high flow AC. The '95 and '96 FLHTCUI came stock with non-reprogrammable ECMs, the '97 models were the first that were programmable for Stage 1, 2 and 3 that accommodates bigger cams and higher compression. The '95 and '96 models were updatable to the '97 ECMs but good luck finding one of those now.
The OP's EVO could get a major overhaul for about half the cost of a new S&S, the 111ci would be sweet without over stressing the rest of that 25 year old hog.
As far as cost IMO, the major overhaul would be in the $3500.00 to $4200.00 range parts, labor and tax. The S&S around $7500.00 w/ carb and ignition, some wiring required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 90,000 miles, you could do a rebuild. New piston rings (maybe even new pistons entirely), make sure the valves and springs are good, etc, maybe replace the lifters, check the condition of the cam, new engine gaskets and so on. Around 100,000 miles is rebuild time from best I have seen and read for Evos. Refreshing the engine will give you more power without upgrading, assuming you're losing power due to various factors (like a loss of compression from worn out piston rings), but you'll still be rocking stock power (assuming it's all still stock).

Now, in this rebuild process, you could opt to increase the compression ratio and get a better cam and so on. Can talk to an engine builder and they can guide you on upgrades. That will update the power of it a bit. This will be the least costly option if you're looking for more power while refreshing your engine. I have a 1997 Evo that's currently only at 41,000 miles (was at 26,000 when I bought it two years ago)... but at 30,000 or so, I upgraded the engine to a stage 3 level (previously it was a stage 2). My built 80" Evo puts out as much power as a stock 96" twin cam. An engine builder can make recommendations on camshafts for what kind of power increase you're looking for.

Now, you can get modern power and still have an Evo, but it's expensive. S&S makes Evo style engines that are direct replacements, and some that are bigger. I don't know how much the 80" complete engines cost, but they also make Evo engines as large as 124" that will fit in the frame, but one of those crate engines (which come with carburetor, cam and everything else) will set you back around $6,500. They make other sizes, 111 ci is one size I think (but I can't remember). But, they are made to fit in the Evo frame, and they are designed the same as the Evo (single cam, external oil pump, etc). So, you would have a totally spanking new engine though, new everything.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend... and your mechanical abilities if you're not having a shop do all the work for you.
Thanks for your input. Maybe Ill check my area for a engine rebuilder. I looked at the new engines, but wasnt sure about spending the 6000. Its still a option but may look at a rebuild first.

·
Registered
Mr. James
917 Posts
Unless you just want to keep that bike, you could take the upgrade money and use the bike as a trade for a newer model that will put you in more stock power and something easier to upgrade for more power with whenever you want to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OP is kinda stuck where the engine mods are now. I'm kinda surprised the engine runs well with the true duals and high flow AC. The '95 and '96 FLHTCUI came stock with non-reprogrammable ECMs, the '97 models were the first that were programmable for Stage 1, 2 and 3 that accommodates bigger cams and higher compression. The '95 and '96 models were updatable to the '97 ECMs but good luck finding one of those now.
The OP's EVO could get a major overhaul for about half the cost of a new S&S, the 111ci would be sweet without over stressing the rest of that 25 year old hog.
As far as cost IMO, the major overhaul would be in the $3500.00 to $4200.00 range parts, labor and tax. The S&S around $7500.00 w/ carb and ignition, some wiring required.
Thanks for the reply. The bike has always ran great since Ive had it. Its just starting to smoke a little. Ive had to replace the TPS once and thats about all. I keep the throttle bore clean and good plugs in it and change the oil. It just time for a little more loving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts