Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently was on a ride and I lost the nut on the left side tranny in the derby cover after replacing clutch cable and adjusting that nut after I got it out of the primary my clutch is stiff I have adjusted it but it seems to be something isnt sliding right inside the tranny any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
How many miles on the bike ? Any other useful info ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike has 130,000 miles on it but a new pro clutch was put in “oil slinger” not exactly sure when but I have had it 8 years now don’t beat on my clutch. Probably put on 20,000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike has 130,000 miles on it but a new pro clutch was put in “oil slinger” not exactly sure when but I have had it 8 years now don’t beat on my clutch. Probably put on 20,000 miles
The clutch feels like the brake should?!??

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
Rivera clutches are one of the best available, had one in my last bike and never any problems.

There are a number of different stiffness springs for that clutch from soft to very stiff. Your clutch might have one of the stiffer springs.

Has the clutch been stiff since you've had the bike, reason for the new cable ? If so you can get a softer spring.

FYI that Pro Clutch can be used on stock 65hp engines up to modified 150hp engines by just changing plates and springs.

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
Also you could install one of the easy pull clutch kits such as the 'Burly Easyboy Lite Pull' kit. Goes into the right clutch cover where the cable connects to the ball and ramp assy.. Applies more leverage to the ramp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s not engaging the clutches though?? When I pull the clutch in I just get a stiff brake like feeling and no engage

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
Let me see if I understand what you're explaining.
Can you shift gears ? Does the clutch release to shift then engage to get the bike moving ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me see if I understand what you're explaining.
Can you shift gears ? Does the clutch release to shift then engage to get the bike moving ?
Nope.. when I pull the clutch back the feel is like a brake and no engagement at all

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
So when you pull the clutch handle in the clutch doesn't disengage correct ?

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
OK, try adjusting it this way:
Remove the derby cover, loosen the cable adjuster all the way then loosen the clutch hub adjusting nut and screw.
Now adjust the clutch hub adjuster screw out then back in until it just makes contact then give it another 3/4ths turn in and lock the jam nut.
Then adjust the cable until the clutch handle goes out from the grip and there's about 1/8ths inch gap between the clutch perch and the handle. You want a bit of free play in the handle.
Now try the clutch, you should see the clutch plates move in and out when using the clutch handle.
Let me know what the results are.

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
If that adjustment didn't do it then I suggest looking back inside the right side cover. The ball and ramp assy. might be off the cable or something else in there is wrong.

The cable connects to the outer ramp then 3 balls then the inner ramp then the pushrod that goes thru the trans main shaft to the clutch adjuster screw. That's pretty straight forward stuff.

Pulling the clutch lever should be actuating the clutch pack after the previous adjustment or there's something not correct inside the right trans cover.

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
So I recently was on a ride and I lost the nut on the left side tranny in the derby cover after replacing clutch cable and adjusting that nut after I got it out of the primary my clutch is stiff I have adjusted it but it seems to be something isnt sliding right inside the tranny any help would be appreciated!!!
I'm just re-reading your first post. You say a nut came off the clutch ? The adjuster screw jam nut ? Is it possible that nut got inside the clutch pack ? Does the nut appear chewed up or anything ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just re-reading your first post. You say a nut came off the clutch ? The adjuster screw jam nut ? Is it possible that nut got inside the clutch pack ? Does the nut appear chewed up or anything ?
Yeah the nut is a little bit not terrible though!! I found it inside the back side of the primary on

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
Well if the cable and clutch adjustments are good and nothing is out of place inside the right side trans cover then something must me amiss inside the clutch itself. Ya might have to disassemble the primary drive and pull the clutch apart, something might have gotten damaged or bent when that jam nut fell out.

When it's apart pull the pushrod out of the trans main shaft to see that it's not bent and causing it to hang up. Like I said, the clutch setup on Harleys is a pretty straight forward mechanism.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts