Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to do my first real 'mod' on the bike, but unfortunately, two of the mods that I would like to do are incompatible with each other.

The engine guard that fits the 1996 Superglide is incompatible with the forward controls that are available in the HD catalogue. I do have highway pegs up front, and some engine guards come with the pegs built in, but I would prefer to have both forward controls and engine guards. I'm 6'4" tall and have a 36" inseam. I ride with the mids, but the forwards would definitely be more comfortable.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket engine guard that would work with these controls?

Thank you.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I know there are some out there that do what you want that fit later bikes, like mine. I don't have my magazines with me at work but if you haven't gotten answer by this evening I'll look it up for you.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe this company?

Lindby Custom Inc. :: Manufacturers :: Harley Davidson

My bikes' PO had one installed. I had every intention of uninstalling it, but it has saved me a few times, so I like it now.....
Thanks Dave! I looked through the site, but all of the ones listed for my year with the forward controls were for stock FWD controls or for mids. I don't know what makes the ones from the HD catalogue different from the stock ones, but they specifically say that they're not compativle with the engine guards in the catalogue.

I suspect that I will end up with engine guards, as I can comfortably ride with the mids and I can use the highway pegs to stretch out.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Sorry but I looked through the American Iron where I thought I has seen them and couldn't find them. If I come across them later I'll post it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
They must have a different frame on the newer bikes, because I have fwd controls and a crash bar on my 2007. If I had to choose, I would go with the fwd controls. I have the same problem. 6'6" tall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure about your Super glide, But when I went with forwards on my 03 Lowrider I used an engine guard for a Wide glide. Worked great. And yes forwards are much more comfortable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They must have a different frame on the newer bikes, because I have fwd controls and a crash bar on my 2007. If I had to choose, I would go with the fwd controls. I have the same problem. 6'6" tall.
New frame in 2006. I don't know what was changed, but I know that the tallboy seat will not fit anything earlier than 2006.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about your Super glide, But when I went with forwards on my 03 Lowrider I used an engine guard for a Wide glide. Worked great. And yes forwards are much more comfortable.
The HD catalogue lists forward controls for the Wide Glide. Apparently, it is the conversion kit for pre-2006 bikes that is not compatible. I don't know what it is that makes this the case.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a shot in the dark, is it the location of the stock exhaust?

Several current hd dyna accessories claim they won't fit a Fat Bob, Wide Glide or Switch Back and it's all because of the head pipe routing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I doubt that that is the reason. The Superglide has the staggered exhaust and the head pipe is routed well away from the location of forward controls.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I did a very careful readthrough in the catalogue and have answered my own question (I think). The FWD controls that are listed are said to be stock on the wide glide. I totall missed the the suffix on the part number, which is different than the one that the guard says it isn't compatible with. So it appears that I can indeed have both. :)

Thank you all for putting up with my confused question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts