Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a 1996 Ultra Classic Electra Glide with 11100 miles on it. Is there anything I should look for when checking out this bike? Is there a problem with having so few miles on a 12 year old bike? Kelly blue book has a price around $9300 - would $9000 be a good place to start? Any and all helpful hints would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome bluekarp.
A 1996 Ultra with 11,100 miles on it for $9,000 sign me up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 96

Last month I bought a 96 Glide Ultra Classic (FLHTCU), "Blue Book" was $9675, I got it for 8G

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I agree in that $8K is a good place to start. The bike is 14 years old, regardless of mileage. .......and it's winter.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
11k? Are you sure it isn't 111k? I'm thinking the 9g might be a tad high, check for similar years/models on craigslist.

Sitting several years is almost as bad on a bike as riding it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
my bud just got a 03 annaversary ultra for 8,000 26,000 miles
I SOLD MY 96 classic two years ago for 7600
it had 140,000 miles on it .
but it did have a 100 ci motor

96 models are kind of a bastard step child year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yup, I guess the 96 are hornery brats... they've got their quirks. Like anything else. My bike was a trailer queen I guess, she only had 9,600 miles showing (Did I mention, my boss sells 1/4 and 1/2 million dollar RVs and takes trades other than another RV?). I like her tho, and if she don't piss me off too much (I DO treat her nice!), I might even start to love her! Marriage is out of the question tho!!! (He-He!!!!)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yup, I guess the 96 are hornery brats... they've got their quirks. Like anything else. My bike was a trailer queen I guess, she only had 9,600 miles showing (Did I mention, my boss sells 1/4 and 1/2 million dollar RVs and takes trades other than another RV?). I like her tho, and if she don't piss me off too much (I DO treat her nice!), I might even start to love her! Marriage is out of the question tho!!! (He-He!!!!)
Bastard step child....
I was just referring to the fact that the model year is diff. in many ways from 95 models or 97 models.

·
Retired citizen
24,076 Posts
'95 and '96 EFI models had non-flashable ECMs .

·
HERD #00021
2,411 Posts
also might wanna check out cycletrader.com for comparables

·
Banned
2,820 Posts
The Evo was a great run for HD motors. I think its a worthy goal. While no means an expert I don't recall hearing the 1996 Ultra for having any major problems and thats low miliage too.

And it doesn't hurt to negotiate a little. You can always go up. When I was negotiating for my 1998 Ultra the seller originally wanted 25,000. I told him I'm a HERD member and got it for 20,500. Actually I told him I could get a new one for 20,500 w/out the sidecar. So my offer was 20,000. His was used and yes had a factory sidecar. He paid 30,000$+ for it new. I was happy with the 20,500 counter offer and took it. We each gave in here and there.

Moral of the story it doesn't hurt to dicker as long as its not an insult. I saved 4500 by a simple offer and for a legitimate reason. In my opinion anyways.

Is it EFI or carb?

Heres the only factory recall I could find:

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_98V158000_1996_HARLEY_DAVIDSON_FLHTCU_recall_37683.html

·
Registered
342 Posts
over here in Cali, im sure i havent seen any close to 9K... sounds like a good price to me but then again, i dont know what good prices are in other states

1 - 12 of 12 Posts