Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took off the rear wheel on my 1997 1200 sportster. for some odd reason i forgot to look it over and now i need help figuring out where the three spacers go. I know where the one on the belt side goes but need help placingf the other two.
thanks

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
The long spacers go into the seals and the thin one goes on the left between the frame and long spacer.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Also, when it's back together the brake rotor should be centered between the brake pads evenly. That'll indicate that the wheel/tire are centered in the swingarm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay i am sorry i am still a rookie. When you say left side is that sitting on the bike or looking at it? I had it on the belt side and had it together however it was not right. Too much rubbing going on on the brakes. But it does not look like the spacer will fit on the brake side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wait so that would be because i did not have the wheel centered...i am thinking now

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Left is sitting on the bike .
Let's back up a bit here. You have 3 spacers. The two identical spacers get pushed into the wheel seals on both sides. Now you have one left over spacer. That spacer should go between the belt drive pulley and swingarm. Forget about a thin spacer on the brake side, that's for a later model Sportster.
I got this info from the schematic at "Ronnies". It's showing the extra spacer on the drive sprocket side.
Sorry, I didn't mean to throw ya off !
Remember, if the wheel is installed correct the brake rotor will be centered in the brake pads after the axle is torqued to spec.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay thanks. However, on my 1997 Sportster the belt is on the right (sitting on bike) and that is where the "extra" spacer is going.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Yup. Go to Ronnies website to look at the schematic for your rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The two same size on both sides and the smaller one on the right or belt drive side in my 93 Only one on the Caliper side. The shim washers I have on the right side as well they are for preload so the axle bolt doesn't crush the bearings. These should be put on before the new bearing is installed with the seal. You may want to have a look at them as mine were desintigrated . I had to have the races torched to get them out and replace them. Why did you have to remove the tire just wondering? I had as problem with brake binding when I did mine turns out I bought conterfeit shoes off ebay. I bought a new pair and they fit fine. Be sure to hold the brake shoes down and that the metal clips are not spread out as the will make the shoes ride up and bind between the caliper and the rotor. I took vise grips and squeezed em gently until the points just touched and they formed to the bracket tightly not loose. Use a little grease in the pins and the area where the brakes ride the clips

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts