Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!
My old man and I are loosing it.
To date: he/we have replaced the crankshaft position senor when the bike was throwing a code 56, it reset and was starting fine, (couldn't ride it was raining naturally. Rain stops and the bike stops firing up. doubt if the weather is the cause just Murphy's law I think)
If he put the battery on the tender it would start but then not start later. Battery terminals have been cleaned, battery has been replaced, plugs have been replaced, EMC terminals connectors fuses have been checked, coil checked. No codes are coming up. STILL no spark. Cranks and you can smell the gas just will not fire up.
 

·
Just Ride
Joined
·
3,888 Posts
It's a evo right. Check your pick up under cone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
71 Posts
Please help!
My old man and I are loosing it.
To date: he/we have replaced the crankshaft position senor when the bike was throwing a code 56, it reset and was starting fine, (couldn't ride it was raining naturally. Rain stops and the bike stops firing up. doubt if the weather is the cause just Murphy's law I think)
If he put the battery on the tender it would start but then not start later. Battery terminals have been cleaned, battery has been replaced, plugs have been replaced, EMC terminals connectors fuses have been checked, coil checked. No codes are coming up. STILL no spark. Cranks and you can smell the gas just will not fire up.
If will start with a battery tender on it , but not without one, look to the frame ground bolt .
 

·
Retired citizen
Joined
·
24,536 Posts
So what is the battery static volts measured across the terminals ? Should be no less than 12.8v.
Might have a static battery drain when the bike is sitting.
 

·
Retired citizen
Joined
·
24,536 Posts
The ignition pickup is also called a crank sensor on carbed EVOs.
I suspect the bike has EFI tho.
 

·
Riding With Respect
Joined
·
225 Posts
The 98 Ultra Classic was only available with EFI and unless it has been changed over to carb like mine, it has these parts. The Cam Position Sensor(in the nose cone) part #32448-95A and the Crank Position Sensor(left side case below oil filter) part# 32447-95.
 

·
Just Ride
Joined
·
3,888 Posts
Thinking one and done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for answering.
Here is a quick follow up: Yesterday evening tried one more time. It fired up several times. We ate dinner, and went for a ride. Stopped several times friends' place etc. No issues it rode great. This afternoon we are back to the same old thing. Cranks but will not fire off. Plugs have no spark. Pulled both out to check. Battery reads as fully charged and drops down to about 11.2 when cranking.
It is an EVO with EFI. part# 32447-95 was replaced with new one earlier in the week.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
71 Posts
Thank you guys for answering.
Here is a quick follow up: Yesterday evening tried one more time. It fired up several times. We ate dinner, and went for a ride. Stopped several times friends' place etc. No issues it rode great. This afternoon we are back to the same old thing. Cranks but will not fire off. Plugs have no spark. Pulled both out to check. Battery reads as fully charged and drops down to about 11.2 when cranking.
It is an EVO with EFI. part# 32447-95 was replaced with new one earlier in the week.
Check the main motor harness plug, they will lose contact with some pins . Check the plug on the ECM as they will also lose contact with some pins . Use dielectric grease on all the contacts also .
 

·
Retired citizen
Joined
·
24,536 Posts
Try swinging the handlebars back and forth while trying to start the engine. If it starts there is a problem with the ignition wires inside the harness at the right side fork neck.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,632 Posts
Use dielectric grease on all the contacts also .
NO NO NO NO NO. dang near burnt my bike up.

"dielectric, insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. When dielectrics are placed in an electric field, practically no current flows in them because, unlike metals, they have no loosely bound, or free, electrons that may drift through the material. Instead, electric polarization occurs."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
71 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO. dang near burnt my bike up.

"dielectric, insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. When dielectrics are placed in an electric field, practically no current flows in them because, unlike metals, they have no loosely bound, or free, electrons that may drift through the material. Instead, electric polarization occurs."
Not to start a fight . :spar

There are two schools of thought on using dielectric grease . I come down on the side with engineering and electrical engineers .

General Motors uses dielectric grease in all of their wiring harnesses .
The MoCo calls for using dielectric grease in the Electrical Service Manual .

Low voltage bulbs manufactures call for using dielectric grease .

GE calls for using dielectric grease on their incandescent bulbs .

And the list goes on and on and on ......... :fitz
 

·
Indecisive Member
Joined
·
292 Posts
All the dielectric grease does is help keep water and moisture out of the connectors and helps prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals. (i.e. copper wire mains going into an aluminum terminal inside a distribution box.)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
71 Posts
All the dielectric grease does is help keep water and moisture out of the connectors and helps prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals. (i.e. copper wire mains going into an aluminum terminal inside a distribution box.)
You got it . :thumbsup :thumbsup

But if you are going to mix copper and aluminum wires together, you really should use aluminum paste . :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,632 Posts
Not to start a fight . :spar

There are two schools of thought on using dielectric grease . I come down on the side with engineering and electrical engineers .

General Motors uses dielectric grease in all of their wiring harnesses .
The MoCo calls for using dielectric grease in the Electrical Service Manual .

Low voltage bulbs manufactures call for using dielectric grease .

GE calls for using dielectric grease on their incandescent bulbs .

And the list goes on and on and on ......... :fitz
I had it everywhere and the day I realized it was a bad move, and removed it, I got a 1.5V increase on my meter. Very noticeable.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
71 Posts
I had it everywhere and the day I realized it was a bad move, and removed it, I got a 1.5V increase on my meter. Very noticeable.
Then you have poor mechanical connections . All the dielectric grease does is lubricant , seal and prevent corrosion of the connectors .

My '98 FLHTCUI had to have several pins and sockets replaced . They will loosen up over time . You can try to tighten the connections, but I've found that because the connections are so cheap, I just replace them . :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top