Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my heritage springer since I've owned it. When the bike is running (riding) , it will not shift into neutral . All other gears are OK. BUT when the bike is off (not running) , it shifts into neutral just fine. I asked one of the guys in the parts dept at the local store and he had no suggestions. ANYONE else have an issue like this? Do I have a clutch problem? Something else?

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
Clutch is dragging. First, try re-adjusting the clutch.

Is it a stock clutch with the stock plate setup (with the spring pack in the middle)? Does it have an "easy pull" type of thing installed on it? Is it an upgraded clutch (for example, extra plate kit)?

Try giving it just a little bit of throttle as you try to go into neutral.

If it's a totally stock clutch, the adjuster screw is supposed to be 1/2 to 1 full turn out from lightly seated, and the clutch cable is supposed to have something like 1/16" of free play between the ferrule and the housing, I think (check service manual). Try starting with the adjuster screw 1/2 - 3/4 turns out on a stock clutch. The less turns out you go, the further the clutch will separate when you pull the handle all the way in.

If you have an extra plate kit upgraded clutch and no easy pull (do not put an easy pull on an extra plate clutch), the adjustment is usually 1/4-1/2 turns on the adjustment screw. You also almost can't use the standard Harley primary/transmission oil (I forget what they call it, Formula+ or something), you have to use a Harley primary specific type gear oil like Belray, Redline or Spectro (the stock Harley oil for primary and transmission is too heavy for the primary with an extra plate kit).

Regardless of whether or not the clutch is upgraded, make sure the primary fluid is at the correct level. If the primary is over filled, the clutch will drag. The fluid level should be checked with the bike upright and level, and should be even with the bottom of the clutch diaphragm spring.

If the guys at the local dealer don't know what causes clutch drag or have any suggestions for common issues with it (particularly if they work service rather than parts), you might need to find a different dealer.

This is your starting point if it otherwise shifts fine. Double check the clutch adjustment and fluid level and make sure those are right before anything else. That's usually the problem with a clutch that drags and is hard to get into neutral (either too much fluid in the primary, or improperly adjusted clutch).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts