Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride 60 miles the other night and the bike wouldn't start back up at a friends house. It turned over and sound like it wanted to start but wouldn't. After about 5 try's it would start for a bit then die. I got it towed home and It did the same thing only this time when it started I gave it gas for a while then let off. It stayed running and I rode around the neighborhood with it dying once. I come home and find this
ImageUploadedByMO Free1367262327.616985.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1367262339.615607.jpg
This is the cam position sensor. From what I've read, when you see this stick goo running out of the cover, the cps is shot. Only problem is I'm not getting a code 56 or any code for that matter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought it was a stator but I quickly ruled that out with a vom. Then i found the pictures above.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Not reading to die yet but don't trust it. You probably already know that.:know

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Ya, from your pics I'd say the CPS is shot ! The goo is the clue !

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just completely disconnected the cps, Tried to start it and it still didn't throw any code.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
If the bike is F.I. test the CKP. Unplug the connection up by the regulator and test resistance across the connector pins on the sensor end. It should measure 1000 ohms plus or minus 3%.

·
245 Posts
The T/C models had some issues with the connection. I use to get a code, would unplug, clean and lube with dielectric grease, and re-connect.
The goo is an issue like Smittys said....
Try replacing the sensor.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
I just completely disconnected the cps, Tried to start it and it still didn't throw any code.

The CMP and CKP sensors won't always set a code unless they fail completely. Generally those sensors just go out of parameters from vibration and heat. The CKP sensor can cause the engine to not run if outside of it's parameters, 1000 ohms plus or minus about 3%.

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Super late on this but, it was the crank position sensore. The clip is a screw on connector and it was at the last thread. I tightened it up and it fired right up. Haven't had another problem with it. Just thought I'd share that for anyone with the same symptoms as me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts