Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I bought a 98 Ultra with 32K miles. The only problem I am having is the EFI will not keep a good idle. I have been told this bike has the "first" version of EFI that HD came out with and its "difficult". Most shops will try to set the idle but it does not help. It will idle at about 600 RPM and otherwise runs Okay. I am thinking about replacing the EFI system. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
13,613 Posts
What do you mean it cannot "keep a good idle". What is "good"?

It should be right at 1000rpm for injected bikes. You are right that is the early version of HD Fuel Injection (made in Italy) and they seemed to have issues.

You could always rip it off and go carb.

·
Retired citizen
24,521 Posts
There's a program in the shop computer (Digital Tech.) That walks the tech thru the hot/cold idle setup procedure. It's in the diagnostic section and it's called "slow or rolling idle".
The main thing to remember when doing the idle procedure is that all other symptoms that could cause idle issues are addressed first like leaking intake seals, linkage hanging, faulty ET sensor etc..
Also any engine mods need to be taken into account.
Actually '98 was the second generation Magneti-Marelli EFI, '95 and '96 were the first generation with the non flashable ECMs.

·
Banned
71 Posts
What do you mean it cannot "keep a good idle". What is "good"?

It should be right at 1000rpm for injected bikes. You are right that is the early version of HD Fuel Injection (made in Italy) and they seemed to have issues.

You could always rip it off and go carb.
Don't tear it out, fix it . It's not that hard to do . If I can fix mine, anyone can fix theirs . :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said in the post, the bike idles at about 600 RPM. There is no way I am "tearing out" the EFI. I have looked at the service manual and I guess I have nothing to lose trying the procedure.

·
Retired citizen
24,521 Posts
The only thing you have to lose is if the engine will run at all when you're finished. Without at least a Scanalyzer you're doing things blindfolded. You need to monitor voltages, RPMs and engine temp closely while making adjustments to the throttle body, you'll at least need the Scanalyzer to do that.
If you're looking at the adjustment procedure in a '98 Touring service manual that procedure has been changed and modified many times between '98 and 2000. All the changes went out to dealers in the form of service bulletins and tech tips.
Good luck !

·
Banned
71 Posts
The only thing you have to lose is if the engine will run at all when you're finished. Without at least a Scanalyzer you're doing things blindfolded. You need to monitor voltages, RPMs and engine temp closely while making adjustments to the throttle body, you'll at least need the Scanalyzer to do that.
If you're looking at the adjustment procedure in a '98 Touring service manual that procedure has been changed and modified many times between '98 and 2000. All the changes went out to dealers in the form of service bulletins and tech tips.
Good luck !
I guess I was lucky then. Where would I get a copy of all the changes ???????? :dunno

·
Retired citizen
24,521 Posts
I guess I was lucky then. Where would I get a copy of all the changes ???????? :dunno
Not available to the general public, only registered H-D service depts.
There are some copied H-D bulletins floating around the net but it's a shot in the dark unless you have the bulletin number.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts