Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No power to fuel pump, no power volt meter, no head light ,no start . Radio all accessory switches and horn work. Checked all fuses good. Swapped out ignition switch with spare no change. Battery voltage 12.67. Power downstream from main fuse 12.67. Any ideas?

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
Check for volts at both studs on the main breaker located ahead of the battery on the left.

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
Ah-Ha, Power Commander ! Unhook it and see if the bike starts.
Also 12.6v is a 50% discharged battery, should be 12.8v to be fully charged and it makes a difference.
Also check the battery negative cable connection down at the rear starter bolt to see if it's real tight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way thanks for your Help! With battery charger on 13 volts on far side of main fuse. Check for continuity through ignition switch good. 13 volts on pin A going to ignition switch. Ground to starter good. Still no power. I replaced all four relays under the seat after issue occored. Do you know where the main relay is located? How about the lean angle switch ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check in your manual there should be a procedure to reset the lean angle switch or disconnect the battery wait a few and reconnect to see if it tripped and reset.
Good luck hope you get it started.

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
Disconnect the harness from the ECM and blow out both the ECM and harness connector with compressed air. Then coat connector with dielectric grease and reconnect.
Test volts at the starter stud.
Jump the small terminal on the starter (green wire) from the battery positive terminal to spin the starter, the starter should crank the engine with the ignition on or off.
Post back with what happens.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
I had my 99 ultra go dead, and I can't remember if I had radio or accessories but for sure all of the other symptoms. Mine was the power wire in faring throttle side near radio. Backed out of the connector. May be worth a look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
Another thing to try. Grab the harness at the right side in front of the tank where it follows the fork neck up and give it some good yanks with the ignition on. There's a history of wires breaking inside that harness from years of the forks swinging back and forth.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
Another thing to try. Grab the harness at the right side in front of the tank where it follows the fork neck up and give it some good yanks with the ignition on. There's a history of wires breaking inside that harness from years of the forks swinging back and forth.
Was`t it 98\99 FL models that had a short harness issue too?
The whole harness not sure if it was frame or front end section got cut a little to short.
Not enough slack for stop to stop turns. Think pins were pulling out of the plugs over time.

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
I think it's the far left relay. You can swap those relays back and forth, they're all the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.