Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i bought a sportster '99 looked up the vin# it tells me that it is a 883 custom. the title has as a 1200. any way to tell if was converted into a 1200. the engine block vin matches the bike vin. i was told it had some engine work done but they didnt know what. it has a little bit of a oil leak and form what i can tell, kits will work on a 883 and 1200.
part two.vacuum line under carb. first pic the small line off the brass 90 elbow going down. where should that go? it is not plugged into anything.
thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
By the way, hope you're not running it without the air filter?? If so you'll find out sooner than later if it's a 1200 or not.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If vin says 883, than title should say 883. You don't change bike model on title based on engine size.

"Vacuum line" is carb bowl overflow tube.

Pre-2007 cylinders got bored unless SE kit was bought in most cases. You'll need to do a cc check on cylinders. The amount of fluid that fits in a cylinder will determine if you have an 883 or 1200.

Amazing how people say "engine work was done" but can't say what.......but the bike sells anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you can see a reverse dish on the top of the piston, I would say it had a 1200 conversion, but you can use flat top pistons if head work was done. In any case I would try to change the title to save on insurance.:)

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,139 Posts
Again, insurance should go by VIN Number... I have never, ever had to provide a title to the DMV.

Just my experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If you can see a reverse dish on the top of the piston, I would say it had a 1200 conversion, but you can use flat top pistons if head work was done. In any case I would try to change the title to save on insurance.:)

You can't.....repeat CAN'T change the title because you made an engine bigger or smaller. The VIN is the identifying marker for the bike. Just like a car...the 10th digit is the engine on the 17th digit of the VIN.

It's the DNA of any new vehicle. 7th digit M=883 P=1200

Some 883s have 883 stamped in the jug base. Won't tell you if it's bored.

I've read you can measure chamber depth, diagonally, from the plug hole to the piston, in the far most downward position.

1200=5-7/8"
883= 5-1/2"

Due to adding bore size, the difference in the diagonal distance changes. Use a thin wooden dowel. Not metal.

If the title says 883, then it's an 883 and you can't change that no matter how big, how many blowers, how many turbos or bottles of NOS you hang off the bike. :thumbsup

Pull the front sprocket cover. If it has a 27 tooth, it's an 883 or started life as. 1200's were 29.

·
Registered
803 Posts
hello, i bought a sportster '99 looked up the vin# it tells me that it is a 883 custom. the title has as a 1200. any way to tell if was converted into a 1200. the engine block vin matches the bike vin. i was told it had some engine work done but they didnt know what. it has a little bit of a oil leak and form what i can tell, kits will work on a 883 and 1200.
part two.vacuum line under carb. first pic the small line off the brass 90 elbow going down. where should that go? it is not plugged into anything.
thanks for any help you can give.
Does the vin# on the frame and motor match the vin# on the title. If not you may have purchased a stolen bike.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry for late reply. yes vins match up. i was told that it is a 1200. i guess it was converted into a 1200. no took the air cleaner off to figure out where the line goes to.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
If vin says 883, than title should say 883. You don't change bike model on title based on engine size.

"Vacuum line" is carb bowl overflow tube.

Pre-2007 cylinders got bored unless SE kit was bought in most cases. You'll need to do a cc check on cylinders. The amount of fluid that fits in a cylinder will determine if you have an 883 or 1200.

Amazing how people say "engine work was done" but can't say what.......but the bike sells anyway.
Listen to Dave63 in all things motorcycle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts