Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got the Ultra in Feb. It's cherry and in excellent condition, reasonably low miles 36,000. This is my first bagger/touring bike. I've got a small issue with it. When I'm coming to a stop the front of the bike wants to bob up and down (dive up and down). Like I'm squeezing and releasing the front brakes though there is steady pressure on them. It only does that when I'm almost stopped. No issues when braking at speed, it's smooth as can be. I've had rotors warp on bikes, cars, you name it through the years and I know what the pulsing feels like. This is totally different and only when the bike's slowing almost to a complete stop. It doesn't matter if it's one up or two up riding. It's not a violent action but it does it just enough to want to upset the balance of the Ultra at low speeds. Any thoughts to start me off in the right direction so I can take care of it would be appreciated. Never had this type of an issue with a bike before and figured the collected wisdom here in the touring section might have an idea. Thanks..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fork springs could be the cause, or lack of fork oil. Are they the original springs? How are the tires? Are they showing signs of irregular wear? Are they cupped? Are they properly balanced? Are they the same brand front and rear? Just some thoughts.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It sure sounds like a warped rotor, but without jacking the front up and checking runout, I wouldn't rule it out.

Hot spots on a rotor can cause uneven grip as well......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front and rear tires are in excellent condition with normal wear (minimal if any) and no cupping. Tires are both Harley OEM. As far as I know everything is original on the front forks with 36,000 on the bike. The guy who had it took exceptional care of it with routine maintenance. Absolutely no vibrations on the bike when riding at speed or braking at speed. The bike is smooth and steady under power and when cruising. It's just when stopping and the bike is at slow speed, let's say the last 20 feet give or take when it comes to a stop.

I was thinking it was the rotors initially, it just goes against everything I've experienced with warped rotors and that was leading me to think it was something else. I'll put the bike on my lift and check the run out. It's got the chrome rotor covers on it and i've not taken them off yet to get a closer look at the rotors. I'll also take a close inspection of the front fork seals and so forth to check for leaks.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of this bike. Thanks, Patrick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, something just came to mind after my last post. As I said earlier I'm still learning the bike. This is the first bike I've had with an air suspension, it never crossed my mind till then so I decided to check that out. The back shocks had minimal pressure and the front forks when checked didn't even move the gauge. I put the recommended amount of air in both the front and back. Unfortunately it's raining here today and will be all week so I have to wait awhile to ride the bike and check it out. I'm thinking the lack of air in the front was causing this problem. The bike wasn't ridden all winter until I bought it and was kept inside in a garage. Talked to the previous owner whom I know and trust and he said it never did that with him before he put it up for winter. I noticed it when I first test rode it and asked him about it then. Maybe the pressure backed off. The caps were missing off the air valves. Gonna go pick up a couple and replace those. Any thoughts?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Uhm.......yep. Sounds like it may have been your problem...........no compression damping because you had no air...............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. :thumb When the weather turns and I can get back out I'll post what I find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok finally got to check out the bike and see if adding air took care of the problem. It did and it didn't. It now feels more like warped rotors. Once I put the proper amount of air in the front forks air suspension. The front end diving was gone and the normal warped rotor feel was there. I think the lack of air made the rotor problem more pronounced. Now gotta pick up some new rotors and change the front brakes while I'm at it. Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts