Harley Davidson Forums banner

201 - 220 of 330 Posts

·
old scoot coot
3,055 Posts
tommy....is that the tony that rode to fredonia with you, me and jack for lunch? if so...COOL! he seemed to be a good guy!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
yep shiney, i rides a red wing. he doesn't do trips more but i think he and roberta will make this one. ?

·
weird member
2,046 Posts
I'm excited for this. Some of my most favorite people I've ever met. I think I met just about everyone that's going except @Kainam and a few others. Plus, it's a vacation for me, and I need one for sure. Just 5 months to go.

Plus, I've never really seen that part of the country.

Half of you been there before, how's the roads out there, any decent twisties?

·
avoider of idiots
6,581 Posts
kyle....google the pig trail. from the hotel we're staying at, it goes south. youll love it! hiway 62 heads east/west from that same hotel. also excellent twisty roads. in short, you cannot get into, or out of Eureka Springs, Arkansas without riding some very nice curvy roads!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I'm excited for this. Some of my most favorite people I've ever met. I think I met just about everyone that's going except @Kainam and a few others. Plus, it's a vacation for me, and I need one for sure. Just 5 months to go.

Kyle, ES is the only place I've ever been where they have huge bright yellow billboards that say something like "Caution, steep and curvy road next xx miles".

·
Road Junkie
1,862 Posts
Kyle, ES is the only place I've ever been where they have huge bright yellow billboards that say something like "Caution, steep and curvy road next xx miles".
Kyle, the twisties are plentiful.

A word of caution for you when riding Arkansas roads:
First, when approaching a turn, if the corner has little chevron signs, the speed warning is just a suggestion..you can easily do 15-20mph higher In the turn. If the sign in the corner is a solid directi9nal arrow, heed the suggested speed limit, as the turn is quite sharp.

Second, there are many commercial chicken houses in Arkansas and they do emit a distinct smell for a 1-2 mile radius. Should you smell it longer, you may be pulling up on a dump truck used to remove said waste. If this happens, stop or turn around. You don’t want to be in close proximity to one of those trucks. Don’t ask me how I learned this lesson...twice.

·
avoider of idiots
6,581 Posts
i think, just from reading your post, i can smell that smell. xcuse me. i need to go wash out my nostrils!

·
old scoot coot
3,055 Posts

just stay north of i40 and take all the numbered roads heading west toward eureka springs. the roads with even numbers head east and west, the roads with odd numbers go north and south. for example, if you enter arkansas down south just get north of i 40 and take even numbered roads west till you get to 23 (the pig trail) and take that north till you get to eureka. you don't even need a map. tell me where you will enter the state and i can give you a simple rough plan that will take you there on all twisties, you won't even need a map! just remember all the numbered roads in arkansas north of i40 are twisties!! i40 and most of hwy 62 are slabs. ?

·
old scoot coot
3,055 Posts
Also, while I'm used to seeing a lot of deer around home, several times in the ES area, in the middle of the day, I would be riding with a group of 3-8 bikes and some silly deer would cross the road through the group of bikes.
if you see a deer in the arkansas twisties and you have time aim right for him. he or she will be gone when you get there. ?

·
avoider of idiots
6,581 Posts
Yeah, but watch out for the ones trailing the one you are targeting.
yep. ill usually just stop. ive never had it happen in n.w. arkansas, but here in s.e. kansas, ive commonly had bunches of 6 cross the road ahead of me. one evening, i stopped, and they just kept coming. over 20 of em! especially this time of year when theyre being "pushed" by hunters.

·
Road Junkie
1,862 Posts
I check with the Nod this morning and there are still 5 room available.
If you re thinking about being there, make your reservations soon. The rooms will be coming off hold in a couple of months.
PSA for the Day
I went to make my hotel booking using the website provided and noticed that they did not have a place to enter a promotion code to receive the group discount. This morning, I called the hotel and spoke with Aaron (think that is correct spelling). He took the reservation and confirmed the group rate (total was $300.84 for a King room, three nights). He noted that most of the other bookings from the group did not have the 15% discount applied. I advised that the notice provided only the website and that most probably booked via the website. He made note and said he would go back through each one and ensure the group discount is applied. Might want to check your confirmation notices to ensure your booking included the discount.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Yeah, Radar--RIGHT ON. I booked in September, 3 nights for room with 2 queen beds and when I spoke with them they weren't sure at that time what the discount was going to be. So, the confirmation I got back in September was at the normal price and total is $452.96. Later today or over the weekend I will email and ask for an updated confirmation email

If anyone is going to contact the Nod please don't call the 800 number(s) you might find. Call the Nod DIRECT (479) 253-6262.

EDIT: The price on my confirmation is for 4 nights, not 3. Told them I wasn't sure yet about the 4th night and they suggested putting me down for it and I could cancel it later if I wanted.

·
Registered
37,542 Posts
I just had a thought about the name of this meetup, could call it the Hillbilly Hodown. Seems that a lot of the attendees are from the Appalachian Hillbilly region coming over to the Arkansas Hillbilly area....

·
weird member
2,046 Posts
just stay north of i40 and take all the numbered roads heading west toward eureka springs. the roads with even numbers head east and west, the roads with odd numbers go north and south. for example, if you enter arkansas down south just get north of i 40 and take even numbered roads west till you get to 23 (the pig trail) and take that north till you get to eureka. you don't even need a map. tell me where you will enter the state and i can give you a simple rough plan that will take you there on all twisties, you won't even need a map! just remember all the numbered roads in arkansas north of i40 are twisties!! i40 and most of hwy 62 are slabs. ?
Well, this is just what Google Maps shows if I pull up the directions (avoiding tolls), and that highway looks rather twisty if I zoom in on the map, but I have been fooled by that before. Actually, that looks like highway 62 and looks only to be twisty when you start getting close to Eureka Springs, but it looks plenty twisty to hit after rolling 850 miles over 2 days, I don't want to get too wild until I had a chance to rest.

Not sure what route I would take, probably slab most of the way, I don't have the time to take a week to get there and camp along the way as I wanted, and our money situation has changed so I can't really spend money on a week's worth of food (ome realities at home changed when I initially was planning; namely, my wife losing 30%+ of her annual income). Also going to break it into two days instead of running sstraight through, so it gives me a little wiggle room as well with regards to route.

However, definitely not taking this exact route, I looked at the steps and it has me leaving Alabama on I-65 and I won't touch that stretch of road ever again. It's been years and it's still all f---ed up like it was a road in Atlanta.

·
old scoot coot
3,055 Posts
Also, while I'm used to seeing a lot of deer around home, several times in the ES area, in the middle of the day, I would be riding with a group of 3-8 bikes and some silly deer would cross the road through the group of bikes.
if you see a deer in the arkansas twisties and you have time aim right for him. he or she will be gone when you get there. ?
I just had a thought about the name of this meetup, could call it the Hillbilly Hodown. Seems that a lot of the attendees are from the Appalachian Hillbilly region coming over to the Arkansas Hillbilly area....
yea we do need a name. that's a good one too. everyboday be thinking of cool names so we can have dr. pepper and beer lubricated discussion and vote by attendees on what to name it. unlike the collision this will be a democratic group with decisions concerning issues decided and voted upon by the membership. ? .also no exclusion rules either. we don't care if you ride a whizzer and haul it in on a trailer. come join us and enjoy one of the most un phucked areas still left in this country. we will glad to have you with us!

·
old scoot coot
3,055 Posts
Well, this is just what Google Maps shows if I pull up the directions (avoiding tolls), and that highway looks rather twisty if I zoom in on the map, but I have been fooled by that before. Actually, that looks like highway 62 and looks only to be twisty when you start getting close to Eureka Springs, but it looks plenty twisty to hit after rolling 850 miles over 2 days, I don't want to get too wild until I had a chance to rest.

Not sure what route I would take, probably slab most of the way, I don't have the time to take a week to get there and camp along the way as I wanted, and our money situation has changed so I can't really spend money on a week's worth of food (ome realities at home changed when I initially was planning; namely, my wife losing 30%+ of her annual income). Also going to break it into two days instead of running sstraight through, so it gives me a little wiggle room as well with regards to route.

However, definitely not taking this exact route, I looked at the steps and it has me leaving Alabama on I-65 and I won't touch that stretch of road ever again. It's been years and it's still all f---ed up like it was a road in Atlanta.

View attachment 780726
easy peasy kyle, when you enter arkansas go to just north of i 40 a few miles, put your map away in your luggage, point to the north west that's where you are going.. take an even numbered road any one at all. head west if you get tired of that one go to the next one north and keep going west or north and west till you get to hwy 23. that is the pig trail. it will take you north right into eureka springs. don't even need a map. that is the best way to enjoy the twisties of arkansas. ride your own ride at your own pace slow at first and you will get into the rhythm of riding arkansas twisties pretty quick. just relax and enjoy. ?

201 - 220 of 330 Posts