Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost due for my 1st service for my Sportster Iron. The dealer said its $280.00. + Tax.
What does this service entail? Some people say its just a glorified oil change? Also they say it will void your warranty if you don't do it at the dealer? Is this true?

I usually service my own bikes this is my first harley not sure if there are special rules with warranty services. The manual doesn't help much, just looking fornsome guidance from the experts on the forum.

Thanks

Phil

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
The manual doesn't help much? . . . that just doesn't sound right . . . is it a proper HD SM ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can do ALL of your own service work and it will NOT void the warranty. Just keep you receipts.

Only part I know that may be a problem, the oil filter. Your owners manual calls for a filter that goes down to 5 microns. Lots of after market filters just go down to 10 microns.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can do ALL of your own service work and it will NOT void the warranty. Just keep you receipts.

Only part I know that may be a problem, the oil filter. Your owners manual calls for a filter that goes down to 5 microns. Lots of after market filters just go down to 10 microns.
Thanks for the heads up. I will most likely stick with the Harley oil filter and not stray to the aftermarket scene too soon.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
By law, the warranty will not be voided if the filter you use is specified by the filter manufacturer as the correct filter for your bike. That said, there's nothing wrong with the H-D filter, it's not even outlandishly expensive. By the way, I keep hearing 5 micron being stated, but as yet I've been unable to find that requirement in writing.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered one... I should get it in a few days. I will also be stopping by HD today to pick up some oil and a filter. Not sure what else I will need until I get the manual but I still have a few hundred miles to go till 1K...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my first 1,000 mile service done today. Not bad brought her to Woodstock Harley Davidson where I bought her. just about $250.00 after tax. Moroneys Harley Davidson was a little over priced. Just had to ride 50 miles to get my service done but no complaints it was an perfect day for a ride!

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
The 1000 mile service is more involved that just an oil change. They are supposed to adjust things like the steering head bearings, primary chain, clutch, drive belt, etc. (I say 'supposed' because maybe some less-reputable dealerships might just change the oil and charge you for 3 hours worth of work anyway. Who knows?)

Although I do all my own maintenance, I always bite the bullet and take my new bikes and cars to the dealer for that first service. I do this for two reasons:

First, there will be a record of my bike being serviced in the manufacturer's computer system. I used to work in the automotive industry and the first questions we would ask, when a warranty issue came up was: "was this vehicle ever serviced at a dealership?"

Second, if there is a warranty problem...the dealer is a lot more likely to help me out and/or go to bat for me with the manufacturer if he sees that I have spent money in his shop. Yes, it doesn't say that anywhere in print and maybe it isn't right, but that's pretty much how the game is played. I figure its really cheap insurance ($300) if I ever need him on my side in a p!ssing match with the manufacturer. No guarantee, mind you, but it might help.

FYI: the standard Sportster filter is the 10 micron one. H-D says you can use the twinkie filter (5 microns) as an "upgrade." Some folks say it's too restrictive for the sporty's lubrication system - but don't have any experience with that issue, as I use the stock 10 micron filter. There are plenty of 50-100K mile bikes running around out there on the stock filter.

·
Registered
139 Posts

No no no! Do not use a 5 micron filter on a sportster. Dont even use a 10 micron. The sportster requires a high flow rate at a low psi. The spec filter does NOT have an anti drain back valve and is a 30 micron filter. There is about 3 aftermarket sporty filters with the proper micron rating and no drain back valve.

The harley 63805-80A is the right filter. Or the chrome equivalent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The service manual i bought for my '98 from harley has literally all of the schedules for the different systems and when they should be done, but it literally has everything you need to know how to do in that book!

·
Registered
62 Posts
2009 xl883l

I bought a 883L with29 miles on it and my dealer gave me the 1000 mile service FREE including oil & filter. Of course I have a great dealer and have bought many bikes from him.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nothing is free. I've been an estimator for a long time, and I can assure you that anything thrown in for free is really "included" in the price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts