Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,031 Posts
I have a foolproof method for avoiding speeding tickets. Been ticket free for the past 15 years.

It works whether I'm in my pickup or on the bike. I don't speed ;)

I run 5 MPH over the limit. If traffic is heavy and really rolling I run with the flow just to keep from becoming roadkill.
Nothing will spoil a day, trip or a tight budget more then an avoidable visit with the law.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
have a real good friend whos a state trooper n he`s constantly getting reprimanded for not giving out HIS QUOTA OF SPEEDING TICKETS he said to me he hates to give them out unless your a wannabe nascar driver or someone who truely deservers it but he said that were the biggest offenders of speeding ..

·
Wayward Son
23,031 Posts
have a real good friend whos a state trooper n he`s constantly getting reprimanded for not giving out HIS QUOTA OF SPEEDING TICKETS he said to me he hates to give them out unless your a wannabe nascar driver or someone who truely deservers it but he said that were the biggest offenders of speeding ..
He is the first one I have ever heard admit there was a quota.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Had one in Flo. do this to me one time. He followed me super close for a while. I stopped abruptly in the middle of my lane. Got off my bike walked up to his window to ask what his problem was. I asked him if he wanted my DL and paper work, did he want to take me to jail, what?
Do what ever you want to do, but get off my fender. He acted shocked and drove away. Not that I would recommend this, but I had severe anger issues at the time.
hahaha now that sounds like sumtin i would do hahahahaha

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
He is the first one I have ever heard admit there was a quota.
There's no "official" written quota. That's illegal. However, it's tough to go on shift for 8 hours and not witness at least 2-3 people speeding.

So...you have officers that will run around like crazy people (We call them "Hammers") and write tickets all day, and others who realize that they get the same pay, for sitting in their car, and doing the minimum.

Some cops LIKE writing tickets. :eek

So.....a department may say that YOUR JOB is to write traffic tickets, and expect to see XYZ tickets a month, but it's not mandated. Unless you have a bunch of other arrests and citations to explain why there's few traffic citations handed in, you have to have SOMETHING to justify 8 hours a day in uniform.

It's not something in writing but you DO have a job to do and you're expected to do it.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
There may not be a quota, but I imagine some still have personal goals. A buddy of mine is a State Trooper. He says he hates to stop someone for 10mph over. He said he knows while he's dealing with that, someone is going to come by a lot faster. He drives a challenger full of electronic gadgets, radar, radio, computer, printer, etc.. He said he would trade all that stuff for a simple cup holder.:D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
There may not be a quota, but I imagine some still have personal goals. A buddy of mine is a State Trooper. He says he hates to stop someone for 10mph over. He said he knows while he's dealing with that, someone is going to come by a lot faster. He drives a challenger full of electronic gadgets, radar, radio, computer, printer, etc.. He said he would trade all that stuff for a simple cup holder.:D
Performance goals. Yes.

You're expected to do our job.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I haven't been stopped for anything in 25yrs. or so. If I were to get a ticket tomorrow, I could not blame anyone but me. When I was 16yrs. old, I got a ticket from a trooper. When I went to court I found out he had written 427 tickets that month. Talk about doing your job! That man was on it. :)

·
Vile Deplorable
1,347 Posts
We called our quota an "Efficiency Index".

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,066 Posts
I'm not reckless, but have been pulled over a few times, one thing I do is always tell the officer the truth. Of the times I"ve been pulled over, I've been ticketed twice, both deserved. Some are just going to write you and thats that, its their job, nothing personal.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I'm not reckless, but have been pulled over a few times, one thing I do is always tell the officer the truth. Of the times I"ve been pulled over, I've been ticketed twice, both deserved. Some are just going to write you and thats that, its their job, nothing personal.
It still pisses me off. I realize that was technically my fault but it still pisses me off.
Sometimes I think I have some anger issues myself. And that pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There's no "official" written quota. That's illegal. However, it's tough to go on shift for 8 hours and not witness at least 2-3 people speeding.

So...you have officers that will run around like crazy people (We call them "Hammers") and write tickets all day, and others who realize that they get the same pay, for sitting in their car, and doing the minimum.

Some cops LIKE writing tickets. :eek

So.....a department may say that YOUR JOB is to write traffic tickets, and expect to see XYZ tickets a month, but it's not mandated. Unless you have a bunch of other arrests and citations to explain why there's few traffic citations handed in, you have to have SOMETHING to justify 8 hours a day in uniform.

It's not something in writing but you DO have a job to do and you're expected to do it.
Dave he was a Maryland state trooper and he personally told me that he was expected to give out a x amount of speeding tickets in a month.now i`m going off of what he told me and view him to be a very honest person .

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Dave he was a Maryland state trooper and he personally told me that he was expected to give out a x amount of speeding tickets in a month.now i`m going off of what he told me and view him to be a very honest person .
I don't doubt it. If they call it something other than a quota, its legal till someone complains.......

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Wayward Son
23,031 Posts
I don't doubt it. If they call it something other than a quota, its legal till someone complains.......
And, if it`s not in writing where is the proof of it`s existence?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I spoke to my nieghbor today who was a x texas state trooper and i asked him if he was expected to give out a certain amount of speeding violation tickects in a month and he told me most definatley that they were expected to do so.. must be a code of silence for some not to admit to it ??

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
As for our State Troopers, they're spread pretty thin. Part of their day is spent responding to accidents. If all they had to do was write tickets, they would only be limited by how long it takes to write the tickets. My hat is off for our Troopers. They do a good job trying to keep our roads safe.

·
Wayward Son
23,031 Posts
I spoke to my nieghbor today who was a x texas state trooper and i asked him if he was expected to give out a certain amount of speeding violation tickects in a month and he told me most definatley that they were expected to do so.. must be a code of silence for some not to admit to it ??
If its not in writing then it does not exist. Many business`es get away with violations because it is not "in writing".

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
kinda like the ITS COMPANY POLICY to screw u outta your two weeks paid vacation when we lay u off ! happened to me once and called the labor board to find out my rights . and i was told if thats the company policy then that how it is. WTF?there should be a law against corupt chit like that!!

·
Wayward Son
23,031 Posts
What is`t covered in writing is generally covered by "past practice."
Usually not a good thing when it`s a business with $$$ vs an individual.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Here's the legality part of it: If you placed "Official" quotas on officers, that means at the end of the month, if below that required quota, officers would be forced to FIND infractions and that leads to officer stress, possible infraction fabrication, but worse yet, it takes discretion away from an officer that he uses when citing or NOT citing a motorist.

There's a serious danger to the public if on day 29, an officer has to "find" and write 20 citation because he only has 5 for that month.

This leads to possible fabricated charges, court appeals, overtime for hearings and liability for an department for false arrests and possible fraud.

If a department tells their officers they need xyz amount, it is a minimum performance number and generally, a low, easy number to achieve.

Like I said.......sit at an intersection sometime for 15 minutes and you can count 10 violations in that time. Minimum performance standards are acceptable. If not......guys would sit and drink coffee all day long and get paid for it. Make more sense?

There's a difference between being given a reasonable, minimum number of citations like 10-20 to be written in a 30 day period as a minimum performance standard VS being told 100 a month. Its a number you could achieve by accident. Not have to go out and harass the public over.

Hell.....you can write 1-2 citations for one 2 car accident.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

21 - 40 of 69 Posts