Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
dave ,i`m just going by what i was told to me by two very honest x state trooper friends of mine and both had the same story... we are still talking about just SPEEDING TICKETS and not traffiic infractions too as well right?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
dave ,i`m just going by what i was told to me by two very honest x state trooper friends of mine and both had the same story... we are still talking about just SPEEDING TICKETS and not traffiic infractions too as well right?
If they have a major interstate in their jurisdiction, with an "aggressive driver" area, it very well could be. I know departments where they do highway duty strictly to show a presence and to cite people to curb speeding in that area. We had an"Project 55" deal in our area for 6 months.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
My cousin is a deputy at the SO in the county next to where I just moved from. He tells me that, in their county, they will pull over a speeder/minor violator, but will rarely stroke a driver. His words, "only if the driver is a real tool..."

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
935 Posts
Last ticket I got was in MT on the interstate 85 in a 75. Cost me $20. When he stopped me, he said "I stopped you for exceeding the speed limit", I said yep. I asked the officer what he clocked mt at, he said the front at 85, the rear at 86. My response was "huh, my cruise was set at 84". His reply "that's not too bad, I've seen them 12 mph off, be careful." I left and kicked it back to 82 on my speedometer

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I hot nailed three years ago going through a none active work zone by one of those dang speed cameras. It said in the paperwork igot that it was a $40 ticket thzt I could pay and N.Y. and my insurance company wouldn't know. But if I came down and challenged the ticket and lost it would be a $300 ticket plus the ourt fees. Just a money maker for Maryland. I payed it like everyone probably dose.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Got lucky last year, out for an afternoon ride and topped a hill doing 97 and met a county cop going the other way, he locked up his breaks, and swung around behind me. By the time he was headed my direction I was back down to 55, after pulling me over he asked if I knew just how fast I was going, said 60 maybe 65, he pointed his thumb up and said try again. I held fast at 60 to 65 as I knew he did not have me on radar and I was not going to say 97 as that would have been a one way trip to jail.
As he did not have me on radar all I got out of it was a warning for excessive speed.

You don't have to admit anything, its their job to prove your guilt, or is should be.

As always your guilty till you prove your innocents.:bikerguy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
funny when he asked what bike i am riding i told him its a 1200 harley and i said "oh its an old 1998" he shined his flash light on the bike and said "hmm doesn't look old at all":

Went on a ride last fall for the company i work for and had a guy who was riding a buell told me the same thing when he pulled up next to me while waiting at a stop light, bikes running and all haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok. Veteran cop here. 27 years fighting a&&wholes on Domestic situations. Telling you this. Most local and County cops like bikers. You guys are always honest and we usually give you the customary "Slow down, be Safe thing". Never had to fight a biker in my career. Fought a ton of meth addicts and sh$tb$irds but never any guy on a bike. See, we just do our job. If you haul ass past us, and others on the road see it, we have to act. Most of the time just to say slow down a bit when passing us. Speaking of that. A lot of us ride bikes when we get a day off and respect the bike community because well let's face it, when we take our vests and gun belts off, we are just normal people too. Disclaimer tho, crotch rocket people get tickets. They are usually *******s. Harley's get the "nice bike, be Safe"..

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Ok. Veteran cop here. .

Great post but you are new here and I've noticed a trend. This thread is from April of 2014. Necroposting is at best annoying unless there is something really important to add.

The last time the person that posted originally even posted anything here was in December of 2014/

·
Wayward Son
23,253 Posts
@TrailsEnd Digging up some old threads. But it happens.
Good words just the same.

Have had the same experience(s) you speak of.
If I was playing the "ass" and got red-lighted I always owned up to it.
They almost seemed relieved that I was not gonna bust their chops about something I was in the wrong about.
A check of my paperwork, word of caution.
We were both on our way again.

If I got red-lighted and honestly did not know why. I was still respectful and cooperative up to what the law requires.
Most times it ended in the same manner.

Once in a while I rolled with a BS safety violation, or speeding ticket. Either could have easily been overlooked.
Think the thing that ticked me off more then anything was the "You know.....I`m really doing you a favor by not hooking your bike and locking you up overnight" attitude.
:dunno Either they knew I had a cracker jack lawyer, knew he had nothing.
Or. Was just having a really bad day himself.

·
Wayward Son
23,253 Posts
Great post but you are new here and I've noticed a trend. This thread is from April of 2014. Necroposting is at best annoying unless there is something really important to add.

The last time the person that posted originally even posted anything here was in December of 2014/
:laugh
Never heard that one.

·
Registered
38,444 Posts

Either he is using the search function (not sure if he searched for "speeding" or what") which is good, or he has too much time on his hands and has manually gone through all the posts and now he is back to 2014, and only has 8 more years to go...... :dunno

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
He just got a new Sportster. Doesn't surprise me at all if he is reading though everything in the Sportster forum. I certainly did that to the Dyna forum when I bought mine and was new to the forum. I just wanted to give him a little nudge about reviving old dead threads.

He does get brownie points for posting in both the New Member and Location forums.

·
old scoot coot
3,428 Posts
i get one or two a year. my ridding buddies love me in the lead and love to tease me about getting tickets, as much fun for me to laugh as them. back in my drinking days i drove and rode in constant fear of getting pulled over and possibly busted for dui. a speeding ticket once or twice a year is one or two hundred bucks. considering the cost of everything else it's a reasonable operating expense. i think it does bother some cops that i just don't care. oh well, they just aint going to ruin my day. cancer is a problem. a speeding ticket, just part of the american experience. i told one trooper to move it along if possible, if i werent in a hurry i wouldn't have been speeding. he didn't laugh but i did.:devil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for the "necroposting". I'm just trying to do research from all the years of experience I missed out on. This forum is full of top notch info and I was just reading thru the years worth of invaluable information. But, non the less, BeSafe out there. LEO's aren't our problem, feeble minded drivers looking at thier cell phones are. I'll keep my posts current. Thanks for all the class act info. I appreciate your experience

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Glad to have you hear TrailsEnd. And you are right there is a huge amount of info. I did the same thing in 2011 when I bought my Dyna. Read damn near every post in the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Appreciate it
Just doing research and trying to take some baby steps to get experience in this group. I can't tell you all about timing and carb work yet but I do know a few useful things that might help us all on the roads.

·
Dangerous Diva
1,435 Posts
The police around the DFW area are really sweet. I've gotten pulled over numerous times, recently for doing 70+ in a 50 mph speed zone. The cops are friendly and they just give warnings and tell people to be safe in the future and not to speed anymore.

·
Wayward Son
23,253 Posts
The police around the DFW area are really sweet. I've gotten pulled over numerous times, recently for doing 70+ in a 50 mph speed zone. The cops are friendly and they just give warnings and tell people to be safe in the future and not to speed anymore.
:think I have seen your pictures lil Sister. :nod
Somehow I sort of doubt this ol hairy male Tramp would get the same treatment. :know

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,666 Posts
I'm surprised I've only received one speeding ticket on a motorcycle. And even more surprised I've only been pulled over on a bike three times!

Long list of speeding tickets in the so called muscle cars I had in my youth.

Never have I been pulled over on a Harley, never.

One time I was pulled over on a crotch rocket and the cop just walked up and pointed at my speedometer and ask me if the dam thing would go that fast and I said "I don't know" he said that was the right answer and left.:dunno

The time I received a ticket was kinda funny, 22 years old and on a crotch Rocket and was in middle of nowhere town getting ready for a green light before I jumped on the interstate. I'm blimpin the throttle and getting restless and impatient cause I'm ready to get on highway and ride Man!!!

All the sudden I noticed I'm surrounded by a herd of fifty goldwings and their all laughin at me I suppose cause I'm noticeably jacked and excited with my blimpin throttle and I probably would laugh at myself also.

We get on the big highway and I let them all pass me and then when they are a ways out in front of me I pass them like a returd at high rate of speed and outta nowhere a state troopers come flying up and pulls me over.

While he's writing me a ticket ...all 75 of the goldwings go by honking all them crazy ass ahooogah horns and rebel call horns, I felt like a dumbass, but I even had to laugh about it while it was going down ...... I was just shaking my head!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts