Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 03 RK and I'm contemplating cutting the rear pipe where it connects to the left side and plugging it then rewelding the pipe back on.
I want the performance of a 2 into 1, but the look of the duals. I realize there are companies out there that make a falsie left with the 2 into 1, everyone that I have seen is $$$.
Any thoughts on this? I realize I will have to remap.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Any thoughts on this?
Yes. Take a nap instead. :D

The performance gain you'd experience would be questionable, (if not a negative) considering you're still toting around an entire left side exhause that's now doing nothing.

If you look at a performance 2-1 exhaust, the merge of the 2 pipes into one is smooth, entering into a collector and doesn't hinder exhaust flow as it enters into a silencer or baffled section that is atleast 25-50% larger.

In your case, you're now taking a rear cylinder pipe that once vented into 2 pipes (left and right sides although poorly, but it vented into 2 pipes), and you're making it vent into ONE.

To boot, where that right rear pipe meets the front pipe, it's a hard and less than stunning flow pattern due to the union that used..... it once had less exhaust pressure there, but you've blocked that path off, (left side pipe) and are forcing it all through this spot. Every bend in exhaust slows exhaust flow and hinders good performance. Having a cylinder dump totally into another pipe through almost a 45* union, is brutal.

Not to mention, you're now running 2 cylinders of a large v-twin into ONE 1-3/4" exiting pipe, rather then a larger union pipe, assisting in exhaust flow.

I'd be willing to bet it would hurt performance, if not just not yield little to no results for your efforts.

At a minimum, I'd expect to see elevated exhaust temps, including elevated cylnder temps due to maximum exhaust velocity being exceeded by volume.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Dave, looks like I'll have to save some $$$ for a new system. On the bright side, it affords me opportunity to research my options. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts