Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question. On my RK with driver backrest & passenger backrest, my wife is struggling to get on & off, due to bad knee. Does anyone let their passenger get on 1st, with the bike on the sidestand ? It seems sturdy enough, this wouild be on flat ground, in gear. I'm a little leery, but i've seen pics of guys laying on their bikes on the sidestand ? thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My wife will get on before I do at time. Haven't had a problem once. I actually like her to do that really... that way I don't have to worry about her starting to get on when i'm not ready.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Only thing I could see as an issue is the extra loading having to lean more to raise the stand.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
That's the way my son and his girl friend mount up on his Fat Boy. And she is much larger than average (God love her--she is one awesome girl).

On my Road King, I mount first and stand the bike up, brace myself and give her a nod. She then steps on the left passenger footboard and holds onto my shoulders, steps up and swings her leg through between me and the tour pack, and drops into the seat. She's average size. I think that some ladies may be a little reluctant to go ahead and step up on the passenger footboard with all of their weight, but if the driver is ready, it's not hard to handle.

--

·
Former Lurker
2,928 Posts
I mount first and with the bike still on the side-stand my wife steps onto the left passenger board and holds on to my shoulders and steps over/through the seat/tourpack.
Once she is settled, I upright the bike and off we go.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I won't let my passengers saddle up without me on the bike. I know the chances are slim that it could be an issue, but if the bike does go over with them, they're likely to get hurt pretty bad. I typically only carry my wife or my daughter. Don't want to risk either.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I won't let my passengers saddle up without me on the bike. I know the chances are slim that it could be an issue, but if the bike does go over with them, they're likely to get hurt pretty bad. I typically only carry my wife or my daughter. Don't want to risk either.

This^^^. I have a WG and I get to mount her first! ?then my wife or son can mount her. But not at the same time.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Do this, it works. While the bike is on it's stand have her back up against her seat and then place her feet on the pegs and slide up onto her seat, then have her swing her leg over your seat. It's going to be a little tougher for you to get on with her on but you can always load from the right side.

If you worry about the bike tipping over just stand close to the bars.

As for the stand being strong enough, i was told by some guys they have been loading that way for years and never had a problem. My 09 is one of those with the wrong side stand bracket so it leans over real far. It is a little bit harder to get it off the stand but not too bad.

EDIT: Just saw you have the drivers backrest. What I typed probably won't work. You can have her try it anyway, but I doubt it. Maybe take the backrest off and have her lean forward a little more so she can be your back rest!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i get on first then the ol but when we stop i get off first then she gets off. when im fueling she will just stay on the bike. now my daught she likes for me to get on the bike first and then she steps onto the peg an loads up and she likes to get off the scoot same way her first then me. with the ol getting off the scoot last ive never had a problem with the scoot tipping. she is a good size gal 6' an 250 my daughter is 5'11 an 130 if that. .

·
Registered
319 Posts
Me first , I stand the bike up and then she mounts. However I just installed a driver back rest this winter and have not given it much thought. Guess we will figure it out if the weather here in Ohio ever is nice enough for us to ride.

·
Registered
600 Posts
As previously mentioned I get on and stand the bike up and then my wife gets on, standing on the left foot board and stepping over. She has had a knee replacement but after some practice she has been doing this without any problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
I get bike up right and give the GF the nod to get on. But she feels embarrassed if some guys are watching us load up. Yes she has cute butt. :):thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
re 2 up

thanks for all the ideas guys, gave me some things to try. keep the rubber side down brothers !!!!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . she feels embarrassed if some guys are watching us load up. Yes she has cute butt . . .

Tell her not to worry about it. Most guys probably checked out her tushie while she was walking over.

A look is flattery. A stare is disrespect. :)

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I get bike up right and give the GF the nod to get on. But she feels embarrassed if some guys are watching us load up. Yes she has cute butt. :):thumbsup
She wasnt wearing only chaps and a G-String was she?
Just checking.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
What about a :drool ??? :dunno
Probably depends on the setting. Some places might break out in full cheer and clapping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts