Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My wife wants to ride with me on the Sporty. So I picked up one of those suction cup pillion pads and the passenger peg kit. I figured I was done and never thought of the suspension.

She hopped on the back and we took off not even 30 feet later needed to turn around cause the bike just didn't feel right. The back was way to low. Together we weigh about 425 lbs. yes I'm a fat ass lol...

If I adjust the rear suspension to the highest position for the random days she wants to ride with me will it work out or do I need to buy new rear shocks?

I normally ride 95% of the time solo. But on those nice days I do like to take a short spin around town or a 60 mile ride down to the parents houses with the wife. I always used to ride sport bikes never really had any suspension issues with her on the back. The sporty feels a bit more spongy that the stiffer suspension in my sport bikes.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
At 425 lbs. you are pushing to the limit the bike. If you adjust the rear to the stiffest setting you are at the limit, but if you ride carefully it will be OK. Even with different shocks your about as heavy as the bike wants to be. Might be time to consider a larger bike.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well not to piss anyone off but I seen a whole lot of people who ride these bikes that are well over the weight limits solo let alone with a passenger.

I did weigh myself and made the wife weigh herself as well (She wasn't too happy about that), I tolder her it was for research. LOL

I ended up being 30lbs off, together we weigh 395lbs. Not sure if 30lbs will make that much of a difference but anyway we are a little lighter.

I was thinking of putting progressives on after reading some posts on the forum but $$$ are tight and they are expensive as hell. Also from what I read the progressive shocks will not only help out the solo ride but 2 up as well. I just need to get the correct spring rates?

I was also looking at Burly Brand Slammer shocks but I know I know they won't work out but damn do they look nice on these rides... :)

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Id say try it with preload maxxed and see how you like it, and as soon as you can afford the progressive's get them, get the HD version if they make them for yours, i talked to progressive and they recommend the HD for any solo rider over 200 and 2 up riding so i got the 444HD and HD spring kit for my ultra, i love them now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
It's not so much the shocks as the springs on the shocks. Try the highest setting, on the stock shock, I'm surprised you are not on the highest setting normally, I am at only 160 lbs solo. Any thing less and the bike bottoms way too easily for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked and I am on the 2nd to last setting. Didn't do much since I pulled her off the showroom floor. I will be picking up a spanner wrench to adjust the suspension. If that doesn't work out then no 2 up until I get better shocks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After your wife rides that little pad you picked up for about 50 miles...
She won't want to ride any more....!!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just looked and I am on the 2nd to last setting. Didn't do much since I pulled her off the showroom floor. I will be picking up a spanner wrench to adjust the suspension. If that doesn't work out then no 2 up until I get better shocks.
It will make a world of difference changing the shock setting. I too took my wife out for a quick ride on my new 13 FXDC not long after I got it to find out I bottomed out at every bump. She wasn't liking it.

Those cheap bastards at HD don't give you the wrench like they should, and I keep forgeting to buy one.

I looked at where the setting was, and it was the lowest of a setting of 5. Looking at my manual that is for under 135 lb's or something close to that. I weight close to 100 lb's more than that myself, and those idiots said they had it set up for me.

I was able to crank it by hand to the fourth setting (remember that I've been forgetting to buy the wrench?), and it works OK with that setting. The ride is OK as long as I don't hit any large bumps like pot holes or railroad tracks with too much speed.

I'm going to the dealer here in a few days so I'm going to pick one up a wrench for the last notch.

With all that said my bike isn't a sportster. My brother that road one while his Softail was waiting on parts gave the analogy that it was like riding a brick with just him on it.

A buddy of mine just "upgraded" to a sporty, and he was forced to upgrade the shocks on his to be able to rise 2 up. His wife isn't tiny and wasn't having that ride. The 250 Ninja he had previously was more comfortable to her. He swapped out the stock shocks for Dyna shocks, and a lowering block. It is tolerable but hard bumps are no good. He loves it for just him. He is now looking to buy a set of takeoff RK shocks.

I'm thinking he should have bought a bigger bike. :biking:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Now I have just the opposite here, I ride solo all the time and the OEM shocks where set for 2 up, talk about rideing a box car.
I took a Channel Lok plyers and turned them to the second softest setting, now I can ride and not feel every crack in the road.
Font tire set at 30lbs, rear at 36lbs. ( I think that what recomended for my 12, 1200c/p )

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My tires are set to 32 front and 36 back, I also picked up a smaller seat for the bike too. Got an awesome deal on a brand new 2013 48 seat on ebay walked away with it for 95 bucks. It gives me more fender to stick on the pillion pad on and I like the look. Also the pillions is not sitting on the arch of the fender and it won't slide off the back (I waxed the crap out of the bike). My wife sat on it with me after I put the new seat on and she said it felt more comfortable for her. She said she doesn't feel like she was going to fall off the back like before on our quick test ride.

I will be picking up a bike lift from Harbor Freight and the spanner wrench from HD today. once the rain stops will be lifting up the bike to adjust the shocks. Probaby don't need the lift but I want one. :)

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
My tires are set to 32 front and 36 back, I also picked up a smaller seat for the bike too. Got an awesome deal on a brand new 2013 48 seat on ebay walked away with it for 95 bucks. It gives me more fender to stick on the pillion pad on and I like the look. Also the pillions is not sitting on the arch of the fender and it won't slide off the back (I waxed the crap out of the bike). My wife sat on it with me after I put the new seat on and she said it felt more comfortable for her. She said she doesn't feel like she was going to fall off the back like before on our quick test ride.

I will be picking up a bike lift from Harbor Freight and the spanner wrench from HD today. once the rain stops will be lifting up the bike to adjust the shocks. Probaby don't need the lift but I want one. :)
I was gonna say you don't need a lift for that! But hey, good excuse yo get one. I have the harbor freight one. It isn't bad works pretty good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the lift and got the spanner bike rides a lot better with my fat butt on it. No two up yet will try that tomorrow. My dads already bothering me to borrow it. He has an old 1978 Kawasaki KZ650SR. Bike is in mint condition accept for pitting chrome. He still needs to service it to get it on the road for the year. Probably going to rent it to him for a 6 pack. lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pvirga how much do you weigh alone? I just got a spanner and I want to adjust mine. It's on the softest setting. My fat a$$ is 250 and my wife is just under 150 and we were bottoming out on every pothole. I rarely ride 2 up so I want to adjust it for solo riding. You think I need the highest setting or what? Is there a chart or something in my manual? It's been raining here for a week straight otherwise id just go out and experiment LOL.

06 Sportster 883 Custom, straight pipes, semi apes, saddlebags, sissy bar

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm 225ish and the wife's about 160ish. Shhh I didn't tell you that lol... With her on it I am going to run the setting at the highest it could possibly go. When its just me I set it three up from the bottom most setting. Rides really good for me on that setting when solo.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went two up the other day wasn't that bad. Wife was complaining about the pillion pad being a little rough on her butt but other than that no bottom outs and a pretty descent ride. For a pillion pad I am using a Phantom Pad Suction cup 6x10 I picked up from eBay for cheap. For the amount of times she is going to be on the back it will due.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts